Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Prometheus News

Blog Entries
    Well folks its sure been a long time - no this isnt dead, I'm still toying with the long term workings of prometheus and I think I've just about cracked how I want it to look and feel. I've already posted some much needed bug fixes to the SVN over on sourceforge as well as cleaned up the downloads and added a snapshot from today... Which I'm ashamed to admit is already obsolete courtesy of me finding some badly written code in the PM_x11Window unit for X11 windows producing the wrong behvaiour as a result of premature optimization. I know. tsk tsk tsk, though on a more exciting note heres some new stuff thats coming as soon as I get all pretty looking and some stuff I've just added...

-Rewrite of XML based TMX map files from TileD to support properties on layer, map and tileset levels [Done, SVN & Snapshots] (followup commit coming soon since there seems to be a glaring ommission in loading said properties int eh current version...)
    -Added support for editing and saving loaded config files from PM_Config [Done, SVN and Snapshots]
    -Added support for loading BMP files [Done, SVN & Snapshots] - THOUGH I dont remember writing this and its there so... Could be BIG BUG
    -Loading an image from an OpenGL surface in memory [Done, SVN & Snapshots]
    -Modular architecture ala ZenGL (sort of but not really) in the form PM_Window, PM_Image, PM_Colour.... [Done, SVN & Snapshots]
    -Support for loading the zfi files for using ZenGL fonts [85% done, adding in a week or so]
    -FBO based render to image [75% done, adding in a week or so]
    -Scrapping the placeholder PM_Debug unit for better error handling and a propper one to trace bugs accross pointers and threads [50% done, adding in a couple of weeks]
    -Support for rectangle and simple geometric 2D collision detection [25% done, adding in a week or two]
    -3D contexts and support for the 3rd dimension [Just started work... Might be a short while ]
    -OpenGL lighting sources [Just started work... Might be a short while ]
    -Long awaited PM_Audio unit for WAV and OGG, now on the 9th or so rewrite with 3d support [Somewhere 150 lines in, should be around the time the 3d unit rolls out]
    -Android test on ARM [This is ongoing for all the above with sdl 'window' and event handling... OpenGL ES tends to cause some havoc a bit everywhere so...]
    -Wii test with PowerPC [Same deal as with android though the OpenGl goodness is easier to come by so maybe before Android]

So thats where it stands for now, more news coming soon and hopefully a few more boxes ticked before college starts in a week and a bit so stay tuned
    Last edited by code_glitch; 03-09-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

-Android test on ARM [This is ongoing for all the above with sdl 'window' and event handling... OpenGL ES tends to cause some havoca bit everywhere so...]
    Seems everybody now wants to provide mobile OS's support... where have you been few years ago when this was not a "mainstream"? Anyway, I wish you fun with development
    Last edited by Andru; 03-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks adnru, not quite the pace you've got ver at ZenGl eh? A fair few years ago I had an old nokia brick and was reading the news of the initial symbian - android - ios clash in south africa with no one I knew having any of those devices at the time, and my android phone is only knocking on 1 year old now so I cant say I've had it all that long. As for the other platforms (game console and such) - I could never get FPC to work right for GBA or NDS. Some stuff compiled and ran, but some other sutff remained a mystery XD

Though I see your point in that everyone is moving towards those mobile platforms, though since my code is opengl based and the mobile platforms are OpenGl ES mostly theres quite some similarities and as for compiling for those platforms its turning into quite a polished process as the developper wolrd gets used to this process Personally I'm an anti-java supporter though I see its attractiveness when I'm writing the low level code for each platform java gurus take for granted. Might have to look into project cooper

Edit:
    Since I've written this theres a teeny update:
    PM_MemUtils. Its in the name, load files to ram for faster access as well as byte level manipulations have been added to the SVN and latest snapshot
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    -Added support for loading BMP files [Done, SVN & Snapshots] - THOUGH I dont remember writing this and its there so... Could be BIG BUG
    Man this made me laugh.
    It seems that you also go and do programing late into the night as I sometimes do.

Blog Entries
    Oh not at all... Never late at night... Early into the mornings lol I never use BMPs and I think I wanted to add it as a 'check that box too' kind of feature but dont remember doing so and the code seems... Generic and incomplete at best - especially since I cant find any sign of loadre coe anywhere but there is a Image.LoadFromBMP() procedure so... Yeah. Glad it made you laugh though

Edit/Update:
    PM_Maps now supports layer properties loaded straight from TMX files produced by TileD. Should have the map, tileset and tile specific properties all done in a day or two once I iron out a few kinks elsewhere. No gurantees on speed since I did a bit of a slacker job but I'll optimize after its all working right - as I've learnt from my premature optimization mistakes from the past
    Last edited by code_glitch; 03-09-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well, heres where it stands as of now...

-Fixed some behaviour of some functions in PM_TextUtils.
    -Loading maps from TMX files now supports properties for the Map, Tiles and Layers. All the places I could find in TileD to save properties in other words.

Whats open in geany right now and being worked on:
    -Collisions (2d simple geometric)
    -Base64 encoding 'support' to work with Base64 strings - useful for those base64 TMX files and much more I'm sure...
    -FBO and other image utilities

Edit/Minor update:
    While playing around with the slightly flaky X11 windows system I implemented in Prometheus - specifically, as a result of working with resizing and getting things to run smoother, a bug in keyboard key repeats was found. Said bug seems to be a little hard to pin to a wall to zap with some DDT, as I need to run a line when the X server wants to kill the program - after it has finished running, but before it is actually killed...

In the process of messing with contexts and what not a stunning discovery was made: Multiple windows and multiple X displays could be used. Simultaneously. Now although its a bit of a pain to work accross windows/screens, if I could update some multithreading code I wrote a while back and have an easy way of 'plugging in' said thread to each display...

At any rate - there Base64 on its way, some bug fixes, better usability and excitingly: multithreading and multi-window and multi-display support coming out of the box in the near future.

PS: the earlier mention to BMP loading is actually a massive bug in itelf: Only the file header recongition and generic loader code was implemented...
    Last edited by code_glitch; 09-09-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Another quick update, development has slowed due to college work... But in a wholesome week I should be on vacation once again and thus should have time to implement everything fully, so lots of new stuff rolling out. For now this is whats done on my local SVN mirror that should be made public over the next few days (hopefully):

Maps/TMX:
    -The first multithreaded loader of anything that prometheus uses - this one for TMX files (delayed since its behaving a bit erratically as of right now)
    -Object layer/group support for TMX files
    -Objects in Object Layers in TMX files can have properties that can be read/deleted/modified by client code
    -Paths in object layers are now read as arrays of absolute X,Y coordinates to be handled by client code
    -Primitive Base64 support in TMX files. Not everything seems to work. ie. limited to tile layers only
    -Base64 seems to work

User I/O & Events:
    -X11: Fixed a bug with PM_Window never reporting an Idle state
    -X11: Implemented 'prefetch' style mouse actions to avoid reporting an event for each pixel change of a mouse motion

Graphics:
    -FBO (Render to texture and the like): might be in there. Depending on whether it stos crashing the OpenGL context in X11 and I fix a hanging issue as well as target vanishing...

Audio:
    -OpenAL: Looks like we can support 1 RAW audio stream. Not exactly useful, but working on a solution to read formats and play many thigns at once...

Other:
    -Collision Detection: Rectangle based collision detection seems to work. Texture/Image based collision detection will be riht after that FBO is happy.
    -Android: No peeking, but it looks like headway has been made

Well thats whats made more progress than the rest, and I'm finally proud to announce that it seems like a lot of the issues regarding stability are gone, memory use is more efficient, binary sizes should be going south too over the next few days (no more ~1.1mb ugliness. Although UPX seems to trim it down to 350k tops) as well as gaining some nice usability tweaks as well as performance tweaks (some large blobks of memory are now cahced )

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234