Thread: 3D Gamecask Engine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    The engine at its core was GLScene - so the rendering and scene management didn't differ bar some rendering extensions - I think the most impressive part of Gamecask was the integration of the engine with the real time engine tool.

Some people put too much emphasis on game/rendering engines. Capabilities are important but in terms of creating almost any game, the content creation/editing tools play a far larger role in terms of an end product. You're going to be able to work far faster and thus have more time to focus on gameplay.

Providing your project can live with the level of graphical capability an engine provides - then ease of development including available tools should be the primary factor when choosing an engine.

Nobody would use unity if it didn't have the unity editor - without that? unity is just a poorly performing .NET based engine for less experienced coders.

The people behind Gamecask put the greater emphasis on the tools and I think that's the best call - from what I saw it was very capable, certainly its physics integration - although it appears things are not entirely what they seemed :\
    Last edited by phibermon; 14-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.