Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ZenGL

Looks solid, but why is it all procedural?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainer
    Looks solid, but why is it all procedural?
    Because I like it All object-oriented things(for example sprite engine) will be in separate units.

Wow... yet another game library in pascal. Awesome job. Your feature list is quite impressive. How long did it take you to complete this?

It seems to me that alot of pascal dev's are making their own engines (yes I'm guilty too ). I would like to see an updated list of all game engines written in our lovely language, because I feel that there might be too many with a lot of overlapping features. I rather see one or two well supported/maintained ones than 10+ libs that are maintained by individuals. After all, we should be making games instead of engines.
    This is also worrying me, because I feel that my engine project is getting more "redundant" day by day, so I need to think of ways to make a difference.

However, don't let this stop you from developing your engine. Looks like it can compete with Andorra or PhoenixLib.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    Looks like it can compete with Andorra or PhoenixLib.
    Maybe, but I don't like them - too many depends and huge size... Also there is no well support for Linux-developers(As I remember Andorra can't be compiled without modifying a source code, but maybe something changed in the latest version).

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    How long did it take you to complete this?
    Oh, I can't answer exactly I started it three years ago, but there was many pauses between developing. And ZenGL was changing every time(there even was a simple 3D one time ). After one year of fun I have reworked it. In 2009 I added MacOS X support for one commercial project(I made a port of game that was written on Asphyre for Windows). Now it used in another one commercial project(with versions for Windows and MacOS X), and in some other "secret" projects
    Last edited by Andru; 11-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Anyway, I tried to bench the basic sprite drawing as best I could. I more or less just took a modified miku example with no auto-spawning / deleting, no movement, no randomized initing, anim, etc. The engine seems a bit sluggish, unless I'm not performing the most basic drawing. I can draw a max of 2900 sprites at 30 FPS with ZGL. With Game Maker, which is notoriously slow, it can still handle drawing a max of 6300 sprites at 30 FPS. I think ZGL needs some optimizations somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dazappa
    With Game Maker, which is notoriously slow, it can still handle drawing a max of 6300 sprites at 30 FPS
    What sprites did you use in Game Maker, and what about sorting sprites by layers(in Game Maker)? Also, give me a log file please, and info about your PC. And if you can - attach "benches" here(with sources and exe for Game Maker bench ), please.

I think ZGL needs some optimizations somewhere.
    Rendering in ZenGL is well optimized, be sure. Seems only Sprite Engine have some "problem" with stable sorting algorithm, or something happened in your benchmarks
    Last edited by Andru; 12-11-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    What sprites did you use in Game Maker, and what about sorting sprites by layers(in Game Maker)? Also, give me a log file please, and info about your PC. And if you can - attach "benches" here(with sources and exe for Game Maker bench ), please.

Rendering in ZenGL is well optimized, be sure. Seems only Sprite Engine have some "problem" with stable sorting algorithm, or something happened in your benchmarks
    Aha! Yes I guess I should have expected the image to be critical. I restructured my bench of GM and did another quick dummy test in c++. Basically, they are all even for me now. All get about 3k 128x128 sized miku's drawn on the screen when the fps begins to drop below 30. I guess you have nothing to worry about then! Just me being silly with inaccurate bench marks.

(So in my case, the limit is my GPU, likely. I have an i5 @ 2.3ghz, and an nvidia 310m) Time to play with ZGL some more now I guess. The particles demo has a warning not to use it in the source, but it seems to have run just fine for me! I can still post my mini-benches if you still want them heh.

Aha! Yes I guess I should have expected the image to be critical.
    Yeah, fillrate is very critical

The particles demo has a warning not to use it in the source, but it seems to have run just fine for me!
    Particles subsystem is not ready for simple use... all parameters are set by code, and there is no emitter manager in ZenGL for now.
    Last edited by Andru; 12-11-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Currently playing around with point in poly (which seems to work), but I am very confused with mouse_x()/y() and mouse_dx()/dy().

Here's a scenario:
    Code:
    if(col2d_PointInTriangle(mouse_X(),mouse_Y(),p1,p2,p3)) then
    begin
       // Visual response
    end;

text_Draw( fntMain, 0, 64, 'FPS: ' + u_IntToStr( zgl_Get( SYS_FPS ) ) +' | '+u_inttostr(mouse_x())+','+u_inttostr(mouse_y()));
    The mouse coords initialize to where the mouse was when the game was launched, but never update after.

Code:
    if(col2d_PointInTriangle(mouse_DX(),mouse_DY(),p1,p2,p3)) then
    begin
       // Visual response
    end;

text_Draw( fntMain, 0, 64, 'FPS: ' + u_IntToStr( zgl_Get( SYS_FPS ) ) +' | '+u_inttostr(mouse_dx())+','+u_inttostr(mouse_dy()));
    Coords output are changing as I move the mouse, but still no collision response.

Code:
    begin
       // Visual response
    end;
    No collision response

Code:
    begin
       // Visual response
    end;

text_Draw( fntMain, 0, 64, 'FPS: ' + u_IntToStr( zgl_Get( SYS_FPS ) ) +' | '+u_inttostr(mouse_dx())+','+u_inttostr(mouse_dy()));
    For some reason this works the way I want it to.

Anyway, I can't really find docs anywhere so I'm a bit confused about their behaviors, but at least I got it working the way I wanted after some very random guessing.

The mouse coords initialize to where the mouse was when the game was launched, but never update after.
    Did you watch this demo - "02 - Input"? There are few lines of code in function Timer(at end of it) that very important:
    Code:
      // EN: Necessarily clear all the states.
      key_ClearState();
      mouse_ClearState();
      joy_ClearState();
    Last edited by Andru; 12-11-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast