Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: News

Any other ideas that could be done using ZenGL?
    ZenGL doesn't limit programmers in genres, so it can be anything

Blog Entries
    Well true, though hidden object games don't really show off the game library's capabilities. Something like a platformer or another kind of action-based game would do better to prove it's effectiveness to make exciting games with it.

Have there been any successful attempts at this level of game performance on real hardware using ZenGL? I'm sure it's possible, but with only point and click games to guage it's performance... why not create a freeware game to promote such use?

...especially if you are selling licences for iOS and Android developers.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

This doesn't depend on me, so As for performance moment it doesn't depend on genre of a game, it depends on fillrate, count of different objects on scene and many other details. And Hidden Object games or Match-3(as Dreams of a Geisha) are pretty dynamic sometimes, with a lot of objects and particles on screen. ZenGL is quite fast, but even with it you can always create some poor performance code, there is no magic solution for avoiding this

But main answer for "why there is no commercial platformers based on ZenGL" will be - such genre is not popular nowadays for commercial purpose(as a casual game). And considering that Pascal is not so popular and ZenGL popularity is much lower... I think you can make some conclusions
    Last edited by Andru; 04-03-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Oh, and one thing about action-games. There is one project here(this version is unstable and based on old version of ZenGL).

But unfortunately speed of development was decreased a lot because of lack of time(main developer is busy with something else, far from game development), as I know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    But main answer for "why there is no commercial platformers based on ZenGL" will be - such genre is not popular nowadays for commercial purpose(as a casual game). And considering that Pascal is not so popular and ZenGL popularity is much lower... I think you can make some conclusions
    Hmm... I dunno there are some platformers on iOS that seem to follow in that flavour of casual gaming the way it's interface works. League of Evil 1 & 2 for example are quite popular and you can take or leave them when and where you want. Levels aren't too big either so it's more of a casual game than a hardcore platformer like how they used to be on the consoles.

However yes, you cannot control who makes what with your game library. It sould be a huge boost though if someone did take full advantage of ZenGL's capabilities and made something exciting with it for mobile hardware. Even Windows or Mac as well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    That screenshot reminds me of Project Moon 2 from the 2006 PGD Annual competition.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

congrats Cezar hope it goes well

Blog Entries
    Very excellent! Create a News Post (CMS article while on the very front page / Home section) and I'll have it published as news!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hi Will! I created the News Post but How do I publish it? It appears to me like "Not Published" but I don't see any Publish button!

Blog Entries
    Hi Cezar, I sent you a PM about your news post. I have to sit down a tweak it a bit, but otherwise I can publish it tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, I'm busy this week. Thanks for creating the news post!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast