Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: News

The whole ZenGL engine looks really interesting and promising.

I've just looked at the website and I actually didn't see a comprehensive "about" page. There was only a tiny page that summarized the core features/components of ZenGL. Might be something to add, perhaps?

Also, will ZenGL be opensourced eventually? (I didn't download it yet, but I have the impression that it's closed). And to what extend is 3D supported? I only saw a lot of 2D components/helpers.

Looking good so far. I will keep a close eye on this.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    a comprehensive "about" page
    I think "tiny page" is good enough to understand what is ZenGL and what it can. I don't like "about page" with boring description like "ZenGL is the best library for creating your 2D applications ever. With it you can create your own games in such genres like... blablabla", or you meaning something else?

And to what extend is 3D supported?
    There is only Set3DMode function. I'm not interested in 3D for now. Some very old versions of ZenGL were with simple 3D(models, keyframe and skeleton animation, volume shadows, heightmap, octree, simple shader functions and so on), but all this stuff were dropped.

Also, will ZenGL be opensourced eventually?
    ZenGL is OpenSource project under LGPLv3 license.

Well, the about page doesn't have to be a cheesy "We have made the perfect library" kind off page. You can just tell what kind of library it is, What it's goals are (Simplicity, Performance, 3D or 2D, Certain features or whatever), How long it has been around and what games are made with it (history). Also mention that it's opensource, because I missed that.

Good to know that it's opensource. I'll have a closer look at it soon.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Maybe later I will write something like "main goals", but "true" developers looking for real functionality, not for phrases "simplicity, performance, etc."

Also mention that it's opensource, because I missed that.
    I have started this project on googlecode(svn and downloads are still there), and that's why I forgot to write about OpenSource on official web-page...

Small update to ZenGL 0.2 RC6
    - [Linux]wnd_SetCaption now is more safely
    - fixed problems with camera for different targets(TARGET_SCREEN and TARGET_TEXTURE)
    - fixed problems with ini_ReadKeyStr, key_GetText, filet_GetName, file_GetExtension and file_GetDirectory(for ZenGL compiled as library)
    - DIRECTORY_APPLICATION and DIRECTORY_HOME now returns PChar for Delphi 2010
    - argument Directory was deleted from file_Exists
    - text_Draw now won't crash if textures were not loaded
    - fixed file_Find
    - fixed crash when png cannot be loaded
    - fixed loading of png when compiling 64-bit binaries for Windows(PasZLib is in use for this, still looking for correct solution)
    - added new function file_Remove

Links was updated here. Website is down now, so only googlecode mirror is working. Also I'm preparing update for LightEngine 2D(I think it would be available in 2-3 hours). For this update Vad has implemented soft shadows and made some optimizations

update: Sad, but LightEngine 2D will be updated later because of some problems with stability of new code
    Last edited by Andru; 06-02-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Thats good news!
    I was wondering, though. The version number. How come it's 0.2? Does that mean a lot is still in the works? And in terms of a roadmap, what features can we expect to see in the coming updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    How come it's 0.2? Does that mean a lot is still in the works?
    Not much, I want to release 0.2 with full documentation and additional tool So, Roadmap for now is something like this:
    - documentation
    - ZenParticles for editing emitter files for particle subsystem
    - correct solution for Windows x64 problem
    - getting resolution list for MacOS X(for now zgl_Get( RESOLUTION_LIST ) will return empty zglTResolutionList)
    - joystick support under MacOS X(but this feature maybe will be moved to 0.3.x branch)

Maybe something else will appear and I will work on it
    Last edited by Andru; 07-02-2011 at 12:01 AM.

ZenGL 0.2 RC6 Update 2
    - [Linux]fixed file_Find(it was fully rewritten)
    - [MacOS X]now list of screen resolutions can be gotten
    - stages of OpenGL initialization have been refactored and fixed problem under Linux

Links as always are here. I have already wrote some draft version of documentation(part of it), so maybe I will show it this weekend
    Last edited by Andru; 10-02-2011 at 10:48 PM.

I have made new branches in svn for current stable version: 0.2.x and 0.2.x-d3d.

changelog:
    - [Direct3D]now correct matrices are used
    - [Direct3D]implemented auto generation of mipmaps for Direct3D9
    - fixed file_GetName, now it will return file name even if it without extension
    - added new parameter SizeXYBind to parameters of particle
    - pengine2d_Draw now returns BlendMode and ColorMode which were set before
    - now rtarget_Add will check GL_MAX_RENDERBUFFER_SIZE before creating frame buffer
    - added USE_TRIANGULATION to zgl_config.cfg
    - added few SND_FORMAT_* constants for modular structure of sound decoders without depend on Sound API
    - added GAPI_CAN_AUTOGEN_MIPMAP for zgl_Get

I'm going to release stable version 0.2 this weekend But seems documentation(and also tools) will be available separately.
    Last edited by Andru; 23-02-2011 at 07:50 AM.

ZenGL 0.2 stable has been released So, now I will work on ZenParticles and documentation next week. Current two goals for roadmap of ZenGL 0.3.x are:
    - OpenGL ES render
    - multi-threaded resource loading

All links as always are here. And one more - Matthieu GIROUX has written some unit which implements compatibility with Andorra2D and DelphiX classes TSprite and TSpriteEngine... In few days I will check it and maybe release it like extra-unit for ZenGL
    Last edited by Andru; 27-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast