Thread: Linking Issues on MacOS X 10.6.5

sdl.pas says it does this:
    Code:
      SDLLibName = 'libSDL-1.2.0.dylib';
      {$linklib libSDL-1.2.0}
      {$linklib SDLmain}
      {$linkframework Cocoa}
      {$PASCALMAINNAME SDL_main}
    I don't know enough about the framework/library business to say what that means. Atleast it'll try to link to libSDL-1.2.0. Try to see if you can find some libSDL-x file somewhere and see if it uses some other version number. 1.2.0 should be the major revision number they use, but I could be wrong
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

This was an interesting remark. The folder SDL.framework contains one 1,4 MB sized binary file, simply called SDL. Nowhere on my system is a file or a symlink called libSDL-1.2.0.dylib .

Creating a symlink with that name improves nothing.

Is there a libSDL-*.dylib?
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Blog Entries
    dylib?? Is that like a SO file? If it is, I doubt it would be in the framework folder - they arent on linux anyway... Arent all those so / dylibs in really obscure places usually?

EDIT:
    Ps. I see that macs still use 1.44mb floppies:
    one 1,4 MB sized binary file
    Need a cd drive? I have one. - a take on some person bringing a mac for ballmer to sign

Sorry - couldn't help it. I'm not a mac fan - but neither am I windows. Unfortunately I don't have a choice in the latter most of the time.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Angry

Yes I think dylib files would be so files on Linux.

No, I don't have any SDL related dylibs on my system.

According to the availabe documentation, copying the SDL Framework folders into /Library/Frameworks should be enough to install SDL. But obviously it isn't. Argh!!!

Blog Entries
    Ah yesw, I have a bad habit of that... sorry.

If its the runtime - try putting those dynalib thingys in the same folder as the executeable or somehwere the system can find them. I would guess that the problem here is you need some type compiling libs? Perhaps try http://sourceforge.net/projects/jedi-sdl/ since in my windows expereince these worked a treat. My mac user-time extands to a comprehensive 7 hours so I'm far from expert (that one button mouse gets to me. I rightclick once every 10 seconds by habit to do everything, and on mac I click everything I shouldn't. Thank god it doesnt crash at the first glimpse of trouble s) )

Anyway, dont forget that you may need the LibSdl AND the libsdl-DEV for thins t work, as I found out. Beyond that is unkown for me so this will most likely be my last post on this topic.

Mac users: I am very sorry to have offended you in any way. I totally admit that MacWorld and Steve Jobs makes for a much saner atmosphere at product launches than M$. Also - please understand: not everyone is blessed with error-free computing like you and that not all devices are made by apple. so they break. and when things break we get dpressed. so we make jokes

Edit: and oh, this is my 250th post? whaaaat? that many alreadyy?

No, the angry smiley was not directed at you! It was directed at MacOS ...

Since several versions, the JEDI SDL libs are not needed anymore, they are included in FPC, and it is SAID that these units care themselves about the correct libraries.

It all works different on MacOS than on Linux or Windows, regardless of MacOS having a Unix core ...
    Last edited by Mario Donick; 08-01-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ah, now - wait wwwhaaaat? So is the problem compiling, or running sdl programs? I am totally lost.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

The problem is compiling SDL programs, for now. I did this once, some days ago, but then stupidly lost my whole setup and now don't remember how it was.

I then had several attempts, all with the SDL units provided by FPC (the JEDI-SDL units which I use on Windows and Linux never gave me any positive results on Mac), plus the SDLmain library which is found in the "devel-lite" folder of the SDL Mac Download. This "SDLmain" is required for developing, too.

1) The Frameworks only. The Frameworks are, I think, always needed on Mac, because in these are both the runtime and the development headers.

2) Frameworks + the classic Unix/Linux way: I compiled SDL from source, which lead to several libs with correct names in /usr/local/lib. The compiler found the libs, but they somehow did not contain the correct functions expected by the SDL units, and FPC complained about it.

3) Ports: Ports are similar to a package manager on Linux, but usually install everything in /opt/var/... This gave me the same negative result as 2)

According to the FreePascal wiki, with FPC 2.2.2 and 2.4.2, the 1st variant should be sufficient. But somehow ...

Blog Entries
    I hear that apt-get also works on mac. Would that mean that you could use t commands I did on ubuntu? I know a lot of mac users dont like it - but it might work as a last resort:

http://techline4teens.com/archives/81

seems to make a decent summary. I wonder if tHat would work? althoughbyou may need to use it to install all the apps you need for development. Just abother thought.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast