Thread: Generic parser for source code, etc. to share

Smile Generic parser for source code, etc. to share

Hi all,
    During my work with my Pas2C64 parser I have been working on, I decided to create a generic parser class that anyone can use as a starting point, and sub-class it to make more specific parsers

Here is the base parser and base parser type units (with .txt after the .pas to allow uploading):
    unit_base_parser.pas.txt
    unit_base_parser_types.pas.txt

I have based it on the recursive descent parser shown here (C code):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_descent_parser

You must subclass the parser to use it. See the attached file below (with .txt after the .dpr):
    parser_test.dpr.txt

You Register all generic tokens and keyword tokens with the parser (see the base parser file for an example; this can be moved into a concrete parser types file (or similar) if you prefer).

You then test for the token values in the parser just like in the attached program example

Enjoy!

cheers,
    Paul

I just realized that I need to update the parser files a little bit, due to subclassing issuses...so I will do this a bit later today

Here are the latest paser files:

unit_base_parser_types.pas.txt
    unit_base_parser.pas.txt

I have updated the parser so one can override what tokens are being used for generic tokens, operators, and keywords...

Enjoy!

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Just read through that - wow that is some darn nice code. Nothing like the SVN of prometheus you have 400 odd lines of perfection, I give you 1200 lines of functionality held together with duct tape ARGGGH! No not really, I'm re-organising the source (cant make heads or tails of it any more XD) But I must say I can't wait to see how this project turns out. So good luck.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Just read through that - wow that is some darn nice code. Nothing like the SVN of prometheus you have 400 odd lines of perfection, I give you 1200 lines of functionality held together with duct tape ARGGGH! No not really, I'm re-organising the source (cant make heads or tails of it any more XD) But I must say I can't wait to see how this project turns out. So good luck.
    Wow! Thanks for the nice comments mate

I don't think my code is THAT good LOL

I do like your description - "1200 lines of functionality held together with duct tape", but I am sure it isn't that bad

Good luck with Prometheus man...looking forward to more of your project

PS, I have discovered a small bug in the TBasePaser.Execute method where I was calling GetToken once too many times! D'OH!

Here is the correct version of the method:

Code:
    function  TBaseParser.Execute(const aSrcStream,aDstStream: TStream): Boolean;
    begin
      FSrcStream := aSrcStream;
      FDstStream := aDstStream;

FErrorMsg := '';
      Result    := True;

// initialize parser
      GetCharacter;
      GetToken;

try
        ParseInput; // override this to make a proper parser
      except
        on E:Exception do
        begin
          FErrorMsg := E.Message;
          Result    := False;
        end;
      end;
    end;
    cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Ah, object oriented code or (OOP because when it screws up you go OOOOPS) nah just kidding. Anyway, like I said, good luck and it's looking good so far - might even be using this one day
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

hahaha! OOOOPS!

cheers,
    Paul