Thread: Sound - most compatible sound library

Sound - most compatible sound library

Hi

For the first time I have come across incompatibility between hardware and the sound libraries I am using. I have used omega and danjetx sound components for many years, both are based on directx 8. However, I am finding that Windows 7 64 bit is having issues with the was directx 8 sound functions. It seems that the drivers for window s7 64 bit don't always work nicely with sound components I am using.

So the question is what set of components or libraries would you suggest I use? I have done some searches but nothing jumps out so I am hoping some of you have experience that you would be willing to share.

Most of my sounds files are simple wav or sometimes mp3.

The system needs to be easy to implement and highly compatible with older and newer hardware. I would much appreciate suggestions. Fancy stuff like sound effects and 3d positioning are not really high on my priority list. I need something that will serve me well for the next 5 years or so.

ps: I am a bit wary of one-man-developed components as they tend to be dropped by the author after certain amount of time. I have looked at audorra but I can't decide if it is my best option.
    Last edited by czar; 05-02-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling mistake ;)
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

You should try bass or fmod if your stuff if free.

audiere is a good opensource library, but abandoned and don't support features like 3d positioning.
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries
    If you don't mind working with headers, you can always use OpenAL. You can then convert all your audio files to Ogg and implement an Ogg audio decoder.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

If all you need is simple playback, it's hard to go wrong with SDL... especially with free pascal now coming with the appropriate SDL units built in and headers available for just about anything. Besides SDL gives you easy to access keyboard, mouse and stick interfaces, relatively simple (and fully cross-platform) 2d graphics, and makes a better wrapper for OpenGL than GLUT ever did.

Though if you need something more complex or somethign that plays nice with directX, I say go with Will's advice and dive into OpenAL.
    The accessibility of a website from time to time must be refreshed with the blood of designers and owners. It is its natural manure

Blog Entries
    SDL does have a very good mixer/playback library for many audio formats (including MODs) however, unless it's been fixed since, on Windows (not confirmed on Linux or Mac OS X) there seems to be an issue with playback of audio at 44.1kHz. You'll have to set your audio only as high as 22.05kHz on Windows if you want to use SDL's mixer for playback. This seems to be the biggest drawback to the 1.2.x version of SDL on Windows. I'm not sure about 1.3.x or other platforms as I've not used the mixer on anything other than Win32/SDL 1.2.x, but it has been reported that it works just fine.

Can anyone confirm or update us on this issue?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

In addition to Audiere, BASS and FMOD, there is also SquallSound.

However, if you want 64-bit sound library (using FPC 64-bit?), it might be difficult to find. I haven't had any sound issues in 32-bit applications running on 64-bit OS, but in our games we've used BASS.

SquallSound works really great with FPC. It would be nice if somebody would make a Pascal headers from few GameMaker sound libraries like SAudio or Super Sound System.