Thread: Linking issues with XCode + FPC for iPhone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[FIXED] Linking issues with XCode + FPC for iPhone

Hi!
    I'm trying to port my game engine to run on iPhone, so I used the FPC OpenGL template as startup point.
    Now in PascalLibrary.pas it says 'Add all your Pascal units to 'uses' clause..."
    My game engine contains about 70 different units, do I need to add them all there?

I can compile with no problem the empty template (with the spinning fpc logo)
    Is it necessary to have -mmacpas mode defined?
    I removed this in the settings and it still compiles and runs ok. I ask this because my engine was originally written in Delphi/Windows, and later ported to FPC and uses mode Delphi switches everywhere.

Now the other problem, just adding for example my unit TERRA_Utils to PascalLibrary causes lots of linking errors

_FINALIZES_TERRA_GL, referenced from.
    INITFINAL in PascalLibrary.o
    _FINALIZES_TERRA_OS, referenced from
    _FINALIZES_TERRA_LOG, referenced from
    _THREADVARLIST_TERRA_APPLICATION, referenced from
    FPC_THREADVARTALES in PascalLibrary.o

and lots of similar errors.
    I already have the -Wl, -no_order_inits in the project settings, what could be the problem?
    (I'm using FPC 2.5.1)
    Last edited by Relfos; 03-03-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Have you tried rebuilding everything?
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

I was almost sure that I already did try that, but I just did a clean + build and the errors did change, this time errors in the actual units (functions that need to be ported) and not linking errors.
    Well, time to work, I will ask again here in case I have more problems

I'm back, after fixing all compilation errors in the units, now I've done a clean, and the linking problem is there again, saying that cannot find the initialization and finalizations of the included units in the generated pascallibrary.o
    What could be the problem?

A broken linker? Try to inspect the object files manually and use -Sh to view the linker script
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

I've disable dead code stripping and still the same result.
    I've added -Sh to the "other linker flags" but I don't much difference.
    However I tried to look at hedgewars xcode project settings, copied some stuff and now reduce from 24 linking errors to 10.
    How to inspect the object files manually?

I'm trying to figure this linking process.
    Well, we have the pascallibrary.pas that is the main file and has all the other units in the uses clauses (TERRA_Utils, TERRA_Application, etc)

Now, it I understood correctly, the objective is to build a library called libfpc.a, that will contain all the stuff.
    The linker is trying to look at pascallibrary.o for those missing symbols (_FINALIZES_TERRA_UTILS, etc)
    But I suppose those are actually in their respective .o files, like TERRA_Utils.o?
    If is that, then I need to add them to the step where the library is assembled from the various .o files I guess, I'm kind of a noob at this kind of things