Thread: Graphics libraries.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    sons of... Anyway, how much of a perf hit are we talking if we go software mode? I mean I do like Mesa drivers - using them right now and they work a treat, but mind you I am on buntu 10.10 and I can't wait for 11.04, but I stand by my stuff Unity - I find absolutely horrid. Especially on a touch screen And I believe that WDDM benchmarks include OpenGl or something similar because when it rates your card I think it goes through that. Not extensively, but I'm sure the support is there somewhere. I think we may be in the ironic position where AMD and nVdidia cards lack support but Intel GMA chips have plenty of it... Basically: sorry, our game wont run; your' card is too good
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch
    Anyway, how much of a perf hit are we talking if we go software mode?
    100-1000 times slower...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    100-1000 times slower...
    That's only if you are using generic MS Windows drivers, right?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    That's only if you are using generic MS Windows drivers, right?
    Nope, GDI Generic always shows me ~1-5fps I'm saying about using Mesa software rasterazation. Even with LLVM you can get those values, but this depends on videocard for comparsion, resolution and count of heavy operations, e.g. blending, shaders, etc.

Blog Entries
    Ah, so I guess we would be talking sdl speeds
    It is I must say, quite a shame for OGL things are going this way... But as long as OGL is alive all is well, intel make it, ati and nvidia too so I will use it whenever I can and if your OS does not support it, you are in a minority (just windows). Get a proper OS<one that runs linux and some windows apps too. Ie. Get some Arch/buntu/suse and etc... And if you really want to spend some money then Mac can be good to
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Well I assume that most graphics cards, including internal will enable the user access to at least some reasonable OpenGL compatibility (hardware), maybe not out of the box but surely they can
    get it from nVidia, ATI and the like (especially those 2, and they are very common).

So at the very least we can refer them to get the applicable updates drivers from the appropriate card or on-board graphic manufacturer or driver support if they have issues.

So if we can't ship them, can we identify whether what they have is good enough, and if not can we accurately point them in the right direction to obtain them?