Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics libraries.

Sorry, I assumed that if older version had the GUI then the newer should it have too.

Blog Entries
    Are you concerned with supporting multiple platforms? Either way, have you considered SDL with OpenGL? If you have already tried OpenGL or dabbled with it, you'll be familiar with some of the concepts and SDL is great for all kinds of game input, window management and of course image format handling.

Not many '3rd party' game libraries will support multiple platforms, at least as of yet, so if that is a concern then there is almost only the one alternative SDL and OpenGL.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

The problem I used to have with OpenGL based solutions is that many people (users) did not have reasonable OpenGl drivers installed. So unless they had a ATI or NVIDIA video card they tended to have problems. How is that these days? Does windows 7 come with proper OpenGL support?
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Blog Entries
    As far as I know, all modern computers should have graphics cards that have OpenGL drivers. At least OpenGL 1.x or so. Depending on the type of 3D features you wish to use basic OpenGL from 1.x or 2.x even should be supported by most, if not all cards now-a-days. Especially if they are running a Mac or a Linux system.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Are you sure Sphinx does not GUI? I also assumed newer version would, you might need to post around on forum or contact developer(s).

I suppose if there is not much difference between XE and 2010 it might be alright, I haven't tried it yet but will when I have time.

On the other hand I hear a lot around here about SDL, which I wouldn't mind at least test driving for drawing, obviously not the new 1.3 or w/e as commercial applications need licenses and all sorts of weird and wonderful things, not something I am interested in this stage. How do I get started with SDL and Delphi 2010 just with basic 2D drawing of images, preferably in a fashion similar to UnDelphiX? Also performance wise does it do better than UnDelphiX if anyone knows?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesso View Post
    How do I get started with SDL and Delphi 2010 just with basic 2D drawing of images, preferably in a fashion similar to UnDelphiX? Also performance wise does it do better than UnDelphiX if anyone knows?
    JEDI-SDL is amazingly easy to use in Delphi. I assume you are running Windows? If you happen to be running on a Mac I can probably hook you up with a working copy that is not yet published. Dom is working on a release soon. Get it at SourceForge here http://sourceforge.net/projects/jedi-sdl/

I use this version currently for all my Windows-based games. It works great and is very stable. You don't need OpenGL to get started with it, but it comes bundled with it so if you want to make the move, it'll be easy.

After you've gotten the library and unzipped it with all your other Pascal projects or where ever else you want it to reside, check out the Free Pascal meets SDL site for some basics on how to use the library. It's super easy to get started working with it. In fact, it's even easier to use than UnDelphiX in some ways.

As long as you don't need any 3D acceleration you'll be quite happy with it I'm sure. Once you start into rotation, scaling or alpha blending, you're ready to move on to OpenGL. But first start with the basics of the SDL library of course.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

So from what I read, it does it's own 2D magic, and also cranks out Direct3D and OpenGL, so I assume you can combine them to some extent, and basically to move on and up I will not have to change libraries or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by czar
    How is that these days? Does windows 7 come with proper OpenGL support?
    Bad as before. Typical user with installed Windows XP/7 will have only GDI Generic GL_RENDERER. But if this user is a gamer, then official drivers could be installed. So, OpenGL is not a good solution for casual games nowadays.

Hi Andru,

Just checked out your ZenGL Demo's that come with the package, looks pretty darn nice to me.

Thinking about giving it a shot this weekend, are there any special install instructions for D2010 or do I just point to all the source file directories and add w/e to uses and check demo sources.

Also, I presume it is not visual and probably does not have something similar to DXImageList, so if I were to say put my graphics in a resource file to go with executable and use a record array for information reference (having it as a list
    will make changes easier as I refer to DXImagesList.Items[N] at the moment) how would I load those up ready to go (I use PNG for the small file size, but I will w/e is supported as long as it's loss less).

Quote Originally Posted by Chesso
    are there any special install instructions for D2010
    No, all you need is "just point to all the source file directories and add w/e to uses"(here the "full" instruction). But this way is for advanced programming mostly, so you can just compile a dll(go to src/Delphi and open ZenGL.dproj) and use it with only one uses - zglHeader(don't forget to put dll with executable, and execute function zglLoad, as showed in demo01).

Quote Originally Posted by Chesso
    I presume it is not visual and probably does not have something similar to DXImageList
    Yes, ZenGL doesn't use or provide something related with VCL, it's just a library. So, you need to use only your variables/arrays/etc. with ZenGL types(e.g. zglPTexture is for "images"). What about using only one executable, I have never thought about this... all my resources I have always carried with executable in directory data Maybe this weekend I will try to make a demo with loading resources inside executable.

PS: Oh, almost forgot - with Delphi 2010 there is a problem with function key_GetText, but it has already fixed in svn and I will update ZenGL this weekend.
    Last edited by Andru; 18-03-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast