Thread: Trying to use lazarus more.

Trying to use lazarus more.

Since i hardly ever need or want to use a RAD environment, i've only used lazarus a handful of times. I am now thinking i should use it more since ill be able to use delphi and laz projects from other people better.

I've been using geany and emacs(love emacs hate pascal-mode, and dont feel like learning lisp to correct it), i've always used more basic text editors for programming. i always get lost in the GUI of the bulkier IDEs, commands are easier for me.

Few thing i need help figuring out:

-I got some unit files which i often use is there a way in Lazarus to make it easy to include in my projects.
    -What is a package?

I thought i could put my units into a package but i think i misunderstood what a package is for, since it didn't work.

there should be no problem getting packages to work in this way. if they are runtime packages then you can't install but they still work the same. I tend to like a simple editor too, code folding is rather retarded. one nice thing about lazarus editor is single stepping through your code.

To use a package, the simplest way is to install it. It needs Lazarus to be compiled again with the package. Then, the unit names will be recognize in the projects provided you specify a dependency with the project inspector (conditions tab).

Blog Entries
    Lazarus is great on Windows. It's seems to be getting better on the Mac. (though now I'm having trouble with getting JEDI-SDL to work)

LCL is still a long ways away from becoming completed, but it's such a huge undertaking, I can only imagine what Borland went through back in the 90s.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

well i tried to put just dglOpenGL into a package, but when ever i try to include it nothing...
    I rebuilt it into the IDE and all, since this is going to be a common unit i thought i'd test making a package with just that in it.

I don't really know about packages as i have never used them. Anyway dglOpenGL still works if included in the unit path.