I'm trying to do both programming and graphics. Unfortunately, programming is taking a lot less time. If I program something and it works, then it works. If I do graphics, I spent hours tweaking, rendering, modeling, until I finally have what I want. And even then, I sometimes realize it's not what I want. And I start all over again.
For example, I'm currently working on a platform tutorial. Programming it has taken about 16 hours while graphics took almost 40 hours.

But, I don't see this as a bad thing. During the past year I have learned so much. I'm sure that I could do the same thing in a lot less time.
I'm convinced that creating graphics is something you can learn. All you have to do is try, when you fail, try again and again. It is what I have done, it is what I still do, every day.

Let me give you one last example before I really shut up and go back to work (which is what I should have been doing right now )
The picture below (which is actually intended for my new website) is the result of 3 evenings work. I'm fairly sure could not not have done this one year ago. Don't take me wrong here, I don't wish to brag or anything, it's simply a result of a lot of trying.

PS. I still prefer programming.