Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: nxPascal

Regarding PNG units...I prefer to use Be Ro (Benjamin)'s free cross-platform PNG unit:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...loader&p=97221

See one of the last posts for a pure Pascal version (compatible with Freepascal, Delphi XE3 & XE4):
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ll=1#post94019

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 02-02-2014 at 02:05 AM.

I was at work, had nothing to do and thinked about modern OpenGL 3.x and nxPascal.
    Its pretty difficult to setup matrices, vertex data etc with modern OpenGL and the shaders needed for matrix stuff and so on.
    So idea for the nxPascal.

Make everything "behind the scene" and let user to use simple to understand and use commands.
    For example lets take: glTranslatef(), nice command to "move things" and position them in place.

In modern gl you have to do alot of dirty work to implement this. At least i see it so and its just one (!) example.
    So make everything needed in modern OpenGL to get the same result. But instead calling it again glTranslatef, call it for example: nxTranslatef or something.
    So i build my mesh and want to position or move it i just use for ex: nxTranslatef(2.0, 2.0, 5.0); (XYZ) order.

And same for other things.
    There could be some shader templates provided for matrix stuff, for cameras etc.

With such commands and nxPascal doing all the "hard" things behind the scenes will make using modern OpenGL much easier.

What do you guys think?

I would like to rewrite my map editor for new OpenGL 3.x+ but the amount of writing code just for building mesh and simple camera matrix stuff scares me.
    I dont even know proper good OpenGL headers for new OpenGL versions, except dglOpenGL. Is it even updated lately?

Share your thoughts.

So basically you are thinking about adding aditional abstract level which will hide most low level fidling nad thus make your engine more user friendly. I think that is a verry good idea.

But if you do decide to do this then I recomend you give it a more deeper thought and try making it in a way that it would not only alow you to hide some low level fidling but also open you a way to implement other types of renderning like DirectX support etc.

Camera class was already implemented, as far as i'd understand what you mean. See in picking demo:
    https://code.google.com/p/nxpascal/s...icsUnit.pas#82

There hasn't been motivation to pascal coding for propably over a year now. It's difficult to make myself come back to this, with Unity and stuff around In the end i will never be able to compete with features, code quality, portability and simplicity.

I have also started the project moving into github, since code.google.com is quitting.

edit: Moving is completed, and wiki converted.
    Last edited by User137; 10-06-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Camera class was already implemented, as far as i'd understand what you mean. See in picking demo:
    https://code.google.com/p/nxpascal/s...icsUnit.pas#82

There hasn't been motivation to pascal coding for propably over a year now. It's difficult to make myself come back to this, with Unity and stuff around In the end i will never be able to compete with features, code quality, portability and simplicity.

I have also started the project moving into github, since code.google.com is quitting.

edit: Moving is completed, and wiki converted.
    It would be great if you continued the project, iv'e played around with unity and stuff but I like programming pascal lol.

Yes, it's a very nice library. The demos are awesome! Unfortunately I never found time to make something with it, but I still keep it in my Lazarus directory.

I released a few fixes to github after a long period of silence.
    - BASS supports now both 32 and 64-bit compiling. Executable location or windows\system32\ needs to have either bass.dll or bass64.dll. If it can't find the dll you might get no error at all. App just won't start. It's not a bug i can fix. Of course if nxBass is not included in project, this note is irrelevant.
    - Changed many demos project options to "default" compiling settings. A few had them set to 32-bit which then failed to compile on 64-bit.
    - Using Enable2D and then resizing window without first calling Disable2D no longer blacks out the screen.
    - FileExistsUTF support dropped in favor of new fpc compiler. It became deprecated.

Added a few known issues to the issue tracker https://github.com/Zaflis/nxpascal/issues and i'll try to keep it updated even if i didn't have time to fix them (i still might sometimes). I'm now developing on Windows 10 using 64-bit Lazarus and FPC. No virtual machines at the moment, and even if i did they might have trouble running with hardware acceleration. So i can't test on Linux. And i have no Delphi at all, considering dropping its support altogether. Is anyone using this on Delphi?
    Last edited by User137; 29-01-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Not exactly using it, but from all the engines I've tried it was the easiest to get to work in Berlin 10.1 VCL

I haven't made up my mind about what to pick for my project, but this is one of the top candidates.

I test it and works awesome! Android support would be great

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718