Thread: PGDmC: Vectored!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nifty little game you got here. I works great. Very smooth. The music is nicely chosen and so are the sound effects.
    Thanks mate

I'm not so keen about using the same button for two different functions though. I often pressed the spacebar longer than the specified 2 seconds in order to release a bomb (which btw is the most fun weapon to use by far), only to find myself destroyed because I waited too long.
    I did it this way because:

a) it reduced the button count for the game to hopefully add bonus points LOL
    b) this is how a cartridge game on the Commodore C64 worked (Seafox). You did a quick tap to fire a torpedo upwards, or held it down to fire a forward torpedo (the c64 joystick only had 1 button usually) - I thought this was quite clever so I copied it

EDIT: dang and blast! it only just occured to me that in Seafox you held the button down and didn't have to release it to fire the forward torpedo! I got it slightly wrong in my game (must fix this...)

Which brings up the matter of replaying the game. You need to restart the whole program in order to do that. It kills your flow. Other than that, nice job!
    Yeah, I know it killed the flow, but again I didn't have a reset button to minimize the button count in the spirit of the competition - I am planning on changing this in a possible post-competition release

Thanks for trying it!

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 18-07-2011 at 10:52 PM.