Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: Vectored!

thanks mate I'm not sure if the tunnel speed will change, but the red rectangles in the tunnel will end up being blocks and other stuff that stick up and you have to avoid or get destroyed. Oh, and there will be less red blocks in the beginning but that will increase as time/levels increase
    That sounds great. However I would still like a speedup. It looks like the ship is going so sloooooooow It doesn't have to affect gameplay. Just the visual.

FPS carnage...funny! Yeah, I am working on the FPS issue mate. It probably doesn't help that the engine I am using is a very very good 2d engine, but it has no native 3d drawing routines out of the box (I am working on this too after the competition!). So I am currently emulating the OpenGL pipeline by using equivalent matrices and routines to transform objects from world space to the screen and then drawing them as 2d lines.
    I must say I'm surprised. I would have guessed that you were just faking it. No need for doing 3D transformations.
    However I'm not experiencing any problems with the frame rate. My old laptop (2.2 GHz dual core and some ATI gfx card) gives me 61 fps and I'm assuming SVEngine is capping my fps.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    That sounds great. However I would still like a speedup. It looks like the ship is going so sloooooooow It doesn't have to affect gameplay. Just the visual.
    Actually it WOULD affect gameplay - this is because the tunnel obstacles will come towards the ship faster
    I think I will speed up the tunnel rate as the level difficulty increases though....thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    I must say I'm surprised. I would have guessed that you were just faking it. No need for doing 3D transformations.
    However I'm not experiencing any problems with the frame rate. My old laptop (2.2 GHz dual core and some ATI gfx card) gives me 61 fps and I'm assuming SVEngine is capping my fps.
    If I have time, I will fake it myself to use less resources and not do the full OpenGL pipeline thingy...fake OpenGL does make it easier though I can do things easily like this just as I would using real OpenGL:

Code:
      FGraphics3d.PushMatrix;

FGraphics3d.Translatef(cShipPosX,cShipPosY,cShipPosZ);
        FGraphics3d.Rotatef(FShipAngleL,0,0,1);

// draw body
        C  := RGBA(0,255,0,255);
        FGraphics3d.DrawLine3d(B1,B2,C,OnDrawGlowingLine);
        FGraphics3d.DrawLine3d(B2,B3,C,OnDrawGlowingLine);
        FGraphics3d.DrawLine3d(B3,B1,C,OnDrawGlowingLine);

FGraphics3d.DrawLine3d(B3,B4,C,OnDrawGlowingLine);
        FGraphics3d.DrawLine3d(B4,B2,C,OnDrawGlowingLine);

<SNIP>
      FGraphics3d.PopMatrix;
    I am glad you are getting 61 FPS though! nice to know

cheers,
    Paul

Wow that tunnel screenshot looks really awesome. Very tuberunner-ish

Looking forward to more! I can imagine that you can turn this into a very awesome action game.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
    Wow that tunnel screenshot looks really awesome. Very tuberunner-ish

Looking forward to more! I can imagine that you can turn this into a very awesome action game.
    Thanks! Have you tried the actual game from the FTP site yet? Just curious, no problem if you haven't

cheers,
    Paul

Haven't done that yet. Will do
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Thanks! Have you tried the actual game from the FTP site yet? Just curious, no problem if you haven't
    The XP computer is stashed away in a corner so I can't right now... but I will. When I think about it, I have a Vista computer that my kids use, I just didn't consider using that. But speaking of OS versions, will it work on XP and/or Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    The XP computer is stashed away in a corner so I can't right now... but I will. When I think about it, I have a Vista computer that my kids use, I just didn't consider using that. But speaking of OS versions, will it work on XP and/or Vista?
    It works on both Vista and XP (tested on both)

cheers,
    Paul

looks nice, reminds me on the beginning of the arcade era

Quote Originally Posted by Daikrys View Post
    looks nice, reminds me on the beginning of the arcade era
    Thanks mate

Hopefully I will put up another screenshot and/or some more video today sometime...

I have added in power-ups to collect, good 'grid' sections (speed-ups and maybe time increases), 'bad' grid sections - some will slow you down, others might zap you if you are over them at the wrong time.

I still don't have any collision detection for any of the grid sections yet, only asteroids but this should come soon I hope

I know I am running out of time so my game won't have a menu or other 'fancy' stuff, it will just get you right into the action so to speak for something different

cheers,
    Paul

menus are bad cause in my case it would use more buttons then the game itself

hmm powerups are a good idea maybe i use some too, thx for the inspiration

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast