Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: Vectored!

Here is the latest screenshot

cheers,
    Paul

That looks cool. I can't wait to play this.
    Existence is pain

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777 View Post
    That looks cool. I can't wait to play this.
    Thanks mate

If you are wondering, it is going to be a beat the clock game - you have to see how far and long you can keep going for. There will be checkpoints that you have to reach - if you don't before the time runs out, it is game over...

Some powerups will add time to the clock, others will speed you up (green arrows), slow you down (red arrows), kill you (asteroids).

There are 4 different weapon powerups to collect - 1 shot, 2 shot, 3 shot (all primary weapons; each powerup changes the current weapon used), and missiles (secondary weapon).

At least this is the plan for after I do powerup/arrow collision detection (almost done)

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    it is going to be a beat the clock game - you have to see how far and long you can keep going for.
    Isn't the whole challenge a "beat the clock game"? But it seems you are going to beat the clock (that is complete it in time). At least if you go for a straight-forward collision detection. That is a big topic.

Isn't the whole challenge a "beat the clock game"? But it seems you are going to beat the clock (that is complete it in time). At least if you go for a straight-forward collision detection. That is a big topic.
    Ok, to clarify, Vectored! is going to be a "reach the next check-point before the time runs out or game over" type of game

With the power-up collision detection, I know at any time which tunnel rectangle that the ship is on. This means I am going to just check the rectangle under the ship, and use (and remove) the power-up on that tunnel segment...

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 14-07-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Here is the latest screenshot

cheers,
    Paul
    Wow! Nice!
    No signature provided yet.

This looks incredible Yesterday I played your game and I must say that it inspires me to make something similar.

One question: Is this real 3d (as in Opengl-ish stuff) or is everything rendered in 2d with a 3d perspective in mind?

I was planning to make a game too but chances are slim that I will be able to create something playable before the deadline.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

This looks incredible Yesterday I played your game and I must say that it inspires me to make something similar.

One question: Is this real 3d (as in Opengl-ish stuff) or is everything rendered in 2d with a 3d perspective in mind?
    Hey Nathan...thanks!

I am using a graphics pipe-line that mimics the OpenGL one with the same matrices and formulas to rotate/translate/scale, and project to screen. I am then drawing 2d lines, etc. at those projected 3d locations on the screen.

This is until I can add true 3d graphics routines using the DirectX in the background into SvEngine - I am planning on doing this after the competition (don't have time now)

PS: here is another screenshot:

In it you can see the current time left at the top (hours minutes seconds), and the current (if any) primary and secondary weapons at the side.

The ship's current velocity is also visible (this will change when I make the slow down/speed up arrows do something).

You can pickup power-ups like clocks (adds time to the time left), I, II, II shot primary weapons, and missile secondary weapon.

The number at the left of each weapon type is how many shots you have left for that weapon. Once it runs out, that box goes blank till you pick up another weapon.

Oh, and everything you see on the screen (except for the "Primary", "Secondary", and "Speed (kph)" text) is done as vector objects, including the time and speed digits!! I made all those myself

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 15-07-2011 at 10:29 AM.

I just need the arrows to do something, make the timer count down, and add in check points. Also do some tweaking with the random generation...oh, and do some effects when objects are picked up, triggered, or destroyed

cheers,
    Paul

I'm looking forward to playing your game. It looks like fun.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast