Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PGDmC: Golden Labyrinth

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

I must admit, it was a strange feeling when I turned in the final built last night. The game has changed so much in the last few days. Other graphics, new sounds, new pickups, two new levels, etc, etc. Unfortunately those changes also came with bugs. Bugs that remained until the very last moment. (And some probably still are present)

It's also funny how you come up with new features to add. It's sort of a snowball effect. First there is this basic idea, but when you move on, and play the game new ideas randomly come up. Some things don't work and are replaced, but others work instantly and sort of automatically seem to click right in, like a piece of a puzzle.
    Last edited by Traveler; 18-07-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

I must admit, it was a strange feeling when I turned in the final built last night. The game has changed so much in the last few days. Other graphics, new sounds, new pickups, two new levels, etc, etc. Unfortunately those changes also came with bugs. Bugs that remained until the very last moment. (And some probably still are present)

It's also funny how you come up with new features to add. It's sort of a snowball effect. First there is this basic idea, but when you move on, and play the game new ideas randomly come up. Some things don't work and are replaced, but others work instantly and sort of automatically seem to click right in, like a piece of a puzzle.
    I think that is a very enjoyable effect that isn't very easy to create. A competition like this helps, a lot. You have a deadline, you can't spend time organizing the code, you have to think gameplay, make it fun, make it work. And the result is positive, at least it was for me.

really nice game and the PDG lettering in the Level is really cool

have you created all maps by hand or have you done an editor?

Bugs that remained until the very last moment. (And some probably still are present)
    i only found one bug, when i use the reverse powerup then some enemys stuck at a junction but it isnt a bad bug anyway

Thank you

Yes, the maps were created with an editor. (see this post) They are basically a 2d grid composed of numbers. I used notepad at first, but I quickly realized that it would be a pain to test the levels and then change something. This editor allowed me to sort of 'paint' the maps. It really works very quickly. The 'PGD' was sort of a joke, which I thought would be appreciated

I was wondering. I'm considering doing a post mortem. Would there be an interest for that?

i looked at the map files and start playing around a bit with them thats why i ask
    a 2d editor is really clever and it look so easy to use

I was wondering. I'm considering doing a post mortem. Would there be an interest for that?
    sure :>
    its always good to read about the experience someone have at building a game

Would you mind making your final version available for download here? I didn't download it from the competition server it seems ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234