Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: Golden Labyrinth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    (...) As you can see in the screenshot below, I have strayed from the usual 2D world and started a 3D game.
    Initially I planned to do the same (2D game rendered as 3D) but finally I decide to use simple 2D.

I'm not going to tell what type of game I'm working on. I trust it's more fun to keep you in the dark and make you guess from the screenshots instead.
    Looking at your second screen-shot I remember Qix-style games (you know, "Gals Panic" and all that). Actually I'm not sure why, but it looks nice.
    No signature provided yet.

@chronozphere: Thanks for the texture offer. I'm good for now though. I have a pretty extensive library myself. Plus, there's a lot that can be found just by using google.

@WILL: 'Wars' is probably too big a word here

@?ëu?±o Mart??nez: I'm not familiar with Qix. But after searching for it I understand what you mean. A long time ago I played Volfied. It looks similar.

But,.. here's yet another update:

Changelist:
    • Normal information has been included in the models. It looks so much better now
    • Basic level loading procedures have been added. Nothing too fancy, just a text file with numbers so I know where to place objects.
    • The robot now moves horizontally, changing direction upon hitting a wall.

That's it for today. More again tomorrow.

I actually meant to post something yesterday, but I wanted too much and ended up getting nothing.
    What I wanted was a little video, but I couldn't get CamStudio to work properly. Something silly about a codec that failed to initialize. After the tenth error or so I had enough and went to bed. Without the video there wasn't much new to write about anyway.

I suppose today was even worse. Not because I still have no video. No, today I learned I have a week less to work on this entry. Not sure why but in my mind the competition ended on the 17th and not the 10th of July. Pretty stupid huh
    Well, at least it set my mind straight about the rule I set for this competition: Keep it simple! And don't add fancy stuff until you have something playable.

So on with the game. Here is the latest screenshot. I suppose it leaves little to guess about what kind of game I'm making, right?

Changelist:
    • A basic AI routine has been added. Robots now choose any available direction. It still needs quite a bit of work as, among other problems, they often tend to return into the direction they came from.
    • Robots first rotate into the direction they want to go, before they actually go in that direction.
    • The load level procedure has been altered so that it now also loads items than can be picked up.

That's it for now. Let me know what you think and in case you're participating in the compo, be sure to write something yourself.

Looking just awesome mate! Keep it coming

cheers,
    Paul

I suppose today was even worse. Not because I still have no video. No, today I learned I have a week less to work on this entry. Not sure why but in my mind the competition ended on the 17th and not the 10th of July. Pretty stupid huh
    For some reason I had the same date in my head. Guess we'll both have to hurry up but you at least have something to show. Nice screen. Are you making a Pacman clone?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Blog Entries
    Well the game does look interesting. Pac-Man comes to mind obviously. You've got to spill the beans about the game play mechanics eventually though.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

So you have the game almost finished, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    Not sure why but in my mind the competition ended on the 17th and not the 10th of July. Pretty stupid huh
    For some reason I had the same date in my head. Guess we'll both have to hurry up but you at least have something to show.
    "Just like me", or "me too", or ...
    No signature provided yet.

Before yesterday I wanted to do a bit more than a PacMan clone, but with only 10 days left, I'm not sure if that is an option anymore. My roadmap looks something like this:

• before end of the weekend: finish gameplay, meaning a player, score, kill enemies/player and end/next level mechanism.
    • mid week: add menu, start- and end screen, optionscreen and some basic optimization.
    • next weekend. Polish, polish, polish. Add sounds, 'engine' optimization, level building, different textures. Etc, etc.

Now it looks like a 3D Pac-Man! But it can still be anything. An AABB world is soo convenient!

Last weekend wasn't as productive as I wanted it to be. I was away mostly the entire time, leaving only Friday and Sunday evening to work on the game. The roadmap I posted previously has been mixed up a bit. I worked a little on gameplay and made sure the player can navigate the map properly. The enemies however are still as stupid as ever, and still pass through the player leaving both unharmed.
    That said, I got so annoyed by the unreadable text files that I took an hour to write a very basic leveleditor instead. Having a bunch of 1's and zero's in a grid in Notepad is definitely not a great way to build levels.

What you see here is a TPaintbox together with some TImage components. Select a tile in the upper right panel, click somewhere on the paintbox and together with a save/load option it's pretty much all it can (needs to) do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast