Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: Galactic Xenocide

Blog Entries

PGDmC: Galactic Xenocide

I'm diggin' that you are all coming together on an acronym so I'm going to follow along too.

Though both Stoney and myself are running the challenge and are judges, we can't officially compete, but we still wanted to work on something. So here is our automatically disqualified entry concept so far.

Galactic Xenocide is going to be a strategy game based off of a game made for a contest where you could only use one button called Pax Britannica. (try it out here) We'll be using a few more buttons than just the one and making it more of a smart strategy than a button mash though.

The core game mechanic of timed smaller ship building was Stoney's, but I wanted to have different alien races you could choose from. I've always loved Ascendancy and there is about 21 races you can choose from in that game. So I'd love to have that diverse set of races, but for the 3-week time-frame we will only be doing 2 so we can get it done in time. Each race would have it's own unique ships and abilities that we would have to balance while play-testing.

We are planning that you start out with 3 motherships on each side that will build the smaller ships. We want to do 4 types of smaller ships that you can build, but for the 3-week timeframe we'll only have 3 to help save us some time again to get it all done.

Of the alien races you can hope to see, amoung them were originally; the Greys, the Reptilians and the Insectoids. I've decided to take from the same universe as my back-shelved 'Invaded' project. (an XCOM remake replacing squad-based combat with real-time simulated instead) So I'm pretty happy to be able to revisit some of my old ideas from a past concept. More aliens will follow post-mini compo, but for now you only get 2.

The neatest thing about this game will be that the only thing you really directly control is the timing and choice of what you are building. We are hoping to have a map you can explore with your motherships and find and destroy all other alien races on the map. You'll start off by your own homeworld/planet to build up before the fight.

Once we get some actual working engine/game prototype going we can post screenshots.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Sound like some nice stuff. As for the PGDmC, that might be my fault - believe was the first one to complain about having to write 'Pascal Game Development Mini Competition' out repeatedly...

Looking forward to it, as I do with most games of course Oh, and I diggs that killzone 3 ps3 banner in the sig too
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

I don't know about the acronym being such a bad thing. I like it.

But more to the topic, participating with your own game is a great idea WILL. And on top of that it looks like your have a great concept as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! I hope to post some screenshots or some concept art and what-not once we get going a bit more. Stoney is getting the prototype ready to try out soon. Hopefully this weekend we'll have a proof of concept and we can start coding the game mechanics into it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Here is a little teaser of what the graphics will look like for the game. Motherships by Stoney and Planets and starfields by myself.

Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Looks great! However, it appears as if the nebula is located in front of the planet instead of behind it. I have altered your screenshot to show the alternative. You can do this by making a circular selection around the planet, and then applying a radial gradient. Set the layer to Soft Light.

planet.jpg

I hope it will not lay in the "Beautiful Start-menu" syndrome.
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez View Post
    I hope it will not lay in the "Beautiful Start-menu" syndrome.
    Just because I had such plans too... but I won't have time for that.

Strategy game, that's nice! Straight and simple strategy games, easy to learn but fun to play, that would be a good ambition.

Blog Entries
    Well I've been working on assets while Stoney is working on the game engine/code. I'm planning on releasing some background information about each alien race as I write them up... I've also been working on the soundtrack too.

I may hop on some of the code should Stoney need some help. The first version might not be overly fancy or as detailed as we might hope, but it should give an example of the direction we are going in.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast