Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: My unnamed project

That's how it is supposed to work. The trees limit your way to distant areas (as well as the elevation of the terrain). The player must find the way to the underground! You can go to the demo option to see the path the player is supposed to follow....
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.

You based on DelphiDoom, but did you do the Geomipmapping (aka LOD terrain), frustum culling, lightmaps and shadows yourself? It is definitely advanced, the code easily gets twisted and complicated when you want to put all those features in. I didn't have time to implement those things, although shadows and frustum culling is high on the list. Professional graphics too, and you already mentioned that the level design took some time. I can imagine. It runs fairly well on my old P4/NV5900.

And as a bonus, you got me interested in DelphiDoom. These seems to be no Mac support in it? Not even Linux?

At first I tried the SOAR algorythm for terrain (an very good example can be found at http://galfar.vevb.net/wp/projects/terrain-rendering/) but finally I came up with my own idea of LOD: I devide the whole terrain in 1024 regions (32*32) and create for each region two precompiled OpenGL lists, one in full quality (for close regions) and another in low quality (less trianges for far regions). I also calculate the bounding sphere for each subdivision and check if it is inside the view area to render it. This technique is neither elegant nor as accurate as the SOAR algorythm, but surprisingly is much faster In the other hand the built-in bsp rendering took care of the indoor areas. In 2-3 cases I was forced to make crude adjustments to the source code but that was mostly because of the map design imperfections. The most tricky part was the connection between the outdoor and indoor area (I'm talking about entities movement/interaction, not rendering issues). I've used the existing lightmap code to make simple shadows for moving objects which gave me an acceptable fast solution.
    Unfortunatelly DelphiDoom is not available neither in Mac nor in Linux, if you're interesting porting it to other Operating systems or help improve it would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    At first I tried the SOAR algorythm for terrain (an very good example can be found at http://galfar.vevb.net/wp/projects/terrain-rendering/) but finally I came up with my own idea of LOD: I devide the whole terrain in 1024 regions (32*32) and create for each region two precompiled OpenGL lists, one in full quality (for close regions) and another in low quality (less trianges for far regions). I also calculate the bounding sphere for each subdivision and check if it is inside the view area to render it. This technique is neither elegant nor as accurate as the SOAR algorythm, but surprisingly is much faster
    How do you manage edges between different resolutions?
    Unfortunatelly DelphiDoom is not available neither in Mac nor in Linux, if you're interesting porting it to other Operating systems or help improve it would be great!
    I am tempted to try. Linux and Mac are so similar that by supporting one, I could support both.

Well, my poor English can not describe it properly so I've attached an image which demonstrates one subdivision rendered in full and in low quality. Inside soure code (gl_terrain.pas) also is included (but commented out) a lower resolution without the surrounding quads (15x4 = 60 triangles). The pivot of the triangle fun has the higher z value of the subdivision, I was about to make x and y of the pivot point to the higher's z point x and y but I thing I've left it to the center (it just looked good that way and I just left it...).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    Well, my poor English can not describe it properly so I've attached an image which demonstrates one subdivision rendered in full and in low quality. Inside soure code (gl_terrain.pas) also is included (but commented out) a lower resolution without the surrounding quads (15x4 = 60 triangles). The pivot of the triangle fun has the higher z value of the subdivision, I was about to make x and y of the pivot point to the higher's z point x and y but I thing I've left it to the center (it just looked good that way and I just left it...).
    Ah, I see. Full resolution on edges, different resolution inside the patch. Pretty smart, you can just make two vertex buffers and switch between them depending on distance. In the usual geomipmapping algorithms you must make edge fixes, that costs time.

Awesome game. The sounds, the atmosphere, it's quite an immersive game. The big boss down below still had the upper hand, but I'll get him soon.
    Btw, I don't know if you plan on doing a new release, with some fixes. There's a nasty typo in your menu, you might want to take out

Blog Entries
    Did you come up with a name yet Jimmy?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

It's "Dragon" I tried to change the thread's title to "PGDmC: Dragon" but I think I didn't managed to....
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Awesome game. The sounds, the atmosphere, it's quite an immersive game. The big boss down below still had the upper hand, but I'll get him soon.
    Btw, I don't know if you plan on doing a new release, with some fixes. There's a nasty typo in your menu, you might want to take out
    I just figured it out , sorry bad English....

A new release will come next days, mostly to utilize some other features, a front-end to configure the renderer and as well as correcting some spelling mistakes
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast