Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: 2-bit Racer

AI can be really tricky in these kinds of games. If you are using a 3d environment you will probably need to set out invisible waypoints or some other datastructure to "guide" the AI. This can take a lot of time to fine-tune.

And yes, making it a fun game is allways the hardest part. I've written two games in pascal and while they both worked great, they were still not well-balanced and still miss that replay value a good game needs.

Good luck (You'll need it)
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I am soon ready to make another upload, with a whole bunch of fixes, but it would be really interesting to know if anmyone out there with a fairly modern Mac can run the game. Anyone?

I realized something unpleasant but important: The speed of my game was not limited by my timer but by my CPU. That means that other Macs can work very, very differently. In order to fix that, I fixed the worst bottleneck (Immediate Mode code). The whole game went VA-VA-VOOM and got totally unplayable - but really smooth. So now I have to re-tune the whole mess.

I knew all along that Immediate Mode wasn't an good idea, but the difference was bigger than expected.

Blog Entries
    Yeah one of the more important parts of making a game is the timing of your 'frames'. I'm not talking graphical frames per-say, but your game's running frames. Each update of your game objects and environment. This is key to a nice running game.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Yeah one of the more important parts of making a game is the timing of your 'frames'. I'm not talking graphical frames per-say, but your game's running frames. Each update of your game objects and environment. This is key to a nice running game.
    That is certainly the case and I should have planned for it. There should always be a "dt". But the other way to do it, which was how I did it, is to lock the frame rate and work from that. Sadly I didn't notice that I got less than the planned fps. It wasn't exactly hard to see, 11 fps instead of 50, but you quickly get used to 11 fps.

But I will fix that now.

Phew, now it looks better, running at a steady 50 fps with decent response which should be fps independent. Now I can focus on improvements, tuning how much the AIs should cheat etc.

Unfortunatelly I don't have a MAC to run your game, can you post a screenshot of the latest version??
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    Unfortunatelly I don't have a MAC to run your game, can you post a screenshot of the latest version??
    Right, new screen shot:

I also uploaded the current version to the FTP site.

I just uploaded the (first) final submission version of 2-bit Racer.

Now, there is one thing I wonder: What would you consider the fastest way to build a Windows version? I am not up to date on Windows or Linux tools. Under Windows, I used to compile FPC programs by drag-and-drop, worked pretty well. But in this case, I must also link with OpenGL and OpenAL.

After submitting, I have worked on a music score, and I also thought I would make another track or two... but that will have to wait, I guess. And with a music score, it will be less portable since I am using QuickTime for playback. But what I really wanted to do was to make a Windows or Linux port, but my Linux installation is broken and I find it hard to work under Windows (not least since that damn PC has such a noisy fan, you can imagine how fun that is when you are used to near silent computers).

But I must help the kinds going to bed, so... I hope my upload is complete and well, nobody seems to have tried it yet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast