Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: Knight Fever

PGDmC: Knight Fever

Hey, this is my first post to this website but I thought I'd register my interest in this contest here just so you guys know I exist

I'm Chris Winward, a 17 year old student (doing Pascal at school, an older version of one of my games was actually featured here in this article) and I've been working on a mini arcade game called Knight Fever for this competition.

Moderately not-so-long story short, you're a knight, and your world has been overrun by monsters and whatnot. Naturally, you answer the valiant call of the brave, and take it upon yourself to find the biggest freakin sword you can, and lop the heads off of your otherworldly adversaries. As well as head-lopping abilities, it also grants you the power to stomp on your enemies' heads from above, and shoot walls of fire from your fingertips.

The graphics are still in their early form (ie I scrawled away in photoshop for as little time as possible for each sprite), I have a team-member working on graphics and another has written some music for the game, so the presentation quality should be at a good standard a little further down the line.

It's written in my own engine, utilising SDL as a springboard to access OpenGL functions to draw it all, as well as SDL for all the music and key input. I'll release the source code along with the game if anybody wants to poke through it, but I'm sure the rest of you more experienced programmers won't find much new in there.

I haven't had anywhere near as much time as I'd have liked to have had to make this game so far (there's a lot of projects and work currently at school weighing me down) but I'm happy with what I have so far.

Thanks for the opportunity for the contest, and I'll be sure to update you as I go along

Blog Entries
    Hello Chris, welcome to the PGD forums!

What a great first post. Your game looks like it'll be pretty fun to play. I look forward to trying it out when judging begins. Feel free to post away. I've set you as a non-moderated member so your posts should show up instantly now.

Starting out can seem a little daunting at first, but there are plenty of resources on the site and out there on the net. Just stick with it and you'll eventually be able to count yourself among the ranks of the veteran Pascal game developers.

Love the programmer's art btw!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Lovin the game title and the screenshot. Good luck in the competition!
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Hi Chris! Welcome to PGD, hope you enjoy your stay

The game is looking mighty fine, and I am looking forward to playing it...good luck!

Just stick at it and you will get better and better before you know it

cheers,
    Paul

Thanks for the kind comments so far, guys
    Once I've got the collision system properly working I'll throw up a copy of it so far to Dropbox for you guys to try out if you want, although other than art and adding menus I wouldn't expect it to change dramatically over the next week.

Looking forwards to everyone else's entries too

Blog Entries
    There is an ftp for this... But I must myself admit to using the dropbox method all too often

Anyway, looking great so far, I'm doing an architectural re-write so I look forward to trying this one out, or at least seeing more of it ovver the last 8 days of the compo
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

A knight chopping up green no-good-whatevers? Yes, why not? I like 2D games, they are so easy to grasp, you can focus on gameplay instead of messy 3D geometry.

How do you represent the ground? Are you testing background pixels, do you use a mask image or something else?

There's two images, the drawn background image, and another which is transparent with black pixels over it which is the collision mask. The game loads up the mask, extracts every fourth pixel for the alpha value, and then the player and other game objects use that array of values to check whether it's solid or not.

Since OpenGL can't hold textures larger than 1024x1024 (or so I've heard), I've had to split each level into multiple collision masks. Having a little trouble getting collision to flow seamlessly from one mask to the adjacent ones, but It's coming together.

Edit: I only decided to use (what I assume is) a needlessly complex way of doing it because a) I wanted my artist and myself to have freedom making the levels however we wanted, which when using a tile system can be limiting, and b) I may as well learn how to do something new if I get the chance

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winwardo View Post
    Since OpenGL can't hold textures larger than 1024x1024 (or so I've heard), I've had to split each level into multiple collision masks. Having a little trouble getting collision to flow seamlessly from one mask to the adjacent ones, but It's coming together.
    On this... the 1024x1024 texture size limit depends on your computer's hardware. Newer more powerful cards can go higher than this, just be sure to choose a texture size that will match those generation of systems which you want your game to run on. 1024x1024 is a good size for most systems there days, however many would be able to do higher such as 2048 and even 4096 for the higher end video cards.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Considering that the computers at my school where I want this to be able to play can barely run OpenGL and require all textures to be a power of 2 in size, I thought I'd put it down to 512x512 just incase. It would be using practically the same amount of memory either way, but this way I can be definite that it will run on older machines.
    (We're talking horrible beige clacky keyboards and towers here in some cases, not a pretty sight)

Thanks for the info though, was not aware of 4096^2 textures being supported at all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast