Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC - Unknown Name

Blog Entries

PGDmC - Unknown Name

So far its an unkown name, and am glad to have it on the first five threads...

Anyways, time for a progress report on what is and what is not.
    1. Please, if you have either Mac OS, Linux or Windows - refrain from running in a virtual machine if you have specs like my tablet. Expect 12-18fps on high load. NOT recommended.

2. If yor are one of the minority running a Win32/Win64 you would have had to visit the brilliant www.ubuntu.com to get a great free OS. But now you can rejoice in the knowledge that a) I will not be using the death-thread code (bug I mentioned briefly once) but if you have a machine capable of handling 2,500 1.6ghz threads each using 64mg of ram please call me; b) WIN32/WIN64 Are now SUPPORTED at the cost of the audio system in prometheus which seems to have an overlooked bug that is fatal to WIN memory management

3. I am planning to test a draft implementation of a new prometheus network feature meaning if I implement all features, you can VS your friends if you have their IP

4. The menu now works fully in its semi-final implementation. The main map handler variables are all linked in and the game launcher code is under way.

5. A short campaign will be featured.

6. You can add your own maps, tilesets and etc thanks to support for TMX files

7. I may consider making a story editor for creating custom campaigns

So thats that so far... Oh, and make sure you get to the local PC store, this needs 64MB RAM and 400MHZ CPU power... GMA chips later than the 950 are supported. Anything that has OGopenGl 2.0 or better can run the game, but you may want to check at what speed...

Platforms I am currently compiling for:
    WIN32 (potentially X64)
    Ubuntu / Linux x64
    Ubuntu / Linux i386

If anyone has any free time on a mac with standalone FPC and wants to compile feel free, or if there are any good instructions on cross compiling thats good too....

Tune in next time for implementation status Oh, and I hope to roll out a beta for around the 28th June.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    So what kind of game are you making...?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    So what kind of game are you making...?
    Good question . You talk about virtual machines, ubuntu, prometheus and hardware-specs. You give us a lot of details, but I still don't have a clue what you're making.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    I think he said platformer in the brainstorming thread.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Indeed it is a platformer... And one in the style of super smash bros / early tekken remixes. So it really just a platformer shoot em' up, blow the living daylights of anything that moves style game... Hence emphasis on multiplayer
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Sounds interesting. And a lot of work too. I hope you can pull it off.

Blog Entries
    I hope so too... My first 'issue' is the fact my game and attacks heavily rely on a particle effect system. Now how do you check whether 5,000 particles are hitting each player every frame... Hmm. I'm thinking of filtering it by angle then distance instead of re-calculating particle positions and then trying to match them.

The networking (ironically) is the easiest part: for each play to move, it must be sent a record of data. Each player has its own movement thread. In a human instance, this is done via the keyboard, for the AI it sends key codes. Simply, all you do is send off a packet of movement info over TCP to the destination IP and tell the network thread what player thread it should pipe the info to. simples. Sdl_Net comes in handy here - I had a go with the recently drafted Prometheus Data Transmission Format and Prometheus_Net but it is simply too buggy to be usable. Also its a tad slow for me likes since it has yet to be written in its optimized form for each OS

So its a fair amount of work, but aside from a few minor instances nothing I haven't done before. In other words, theres little POC code to go wrong. And did I mention: 3 days or so from beta?! (no networking yet so don't get your hopes up too high. Just a test for performance on other peoples systems. VMs only do so much)

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a lot is going into this. Just don't overstretch yourself trying to do something one way. In programming; if at first you don't succeed, cheat and make them think it's done the other way.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hi. Did you start coding?
    No signature provided yet.

It is always fun with a screenshot, even if in an early stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast