Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Borland CEO withdraws

Blog Entries

Borland CEO withdraws

Well I think that they should either continue go one way other the other. CLX was supposed to be the cross-platform version of VCL.

I personally think that if they eliminate CLX then they should make VCL cross-platform capable. Or failing that use CLX instead of VCL and enhance it's win32 portion to support XP themes a little nicer.

But then there is complications with the more recent deals with Microsoft to get into .NET with their help. I think the deal had something to do with them not having anything that supports .NET support Linux. Since Microsoft and Linux are sort of head-to-head with their OSes. This was mentioned somewhere in those audio blogs that the Delphi 2005 team was releasing.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Borland CEO withdraws

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    CLX was in addition to VCL. So VCL was never renamed. It just had an inferior sibling for a while.
    Well, in twisted marketings minds inside Borland for some time it was actually vice-versa: Overview of the VCL for .NET - by John Kaster.

Some excerpts:
    • "Visual Component Library" was a misnomer for the entire component framework, since the majority of the framework was non-visual. When Borland introduced Kylix, we also finally came up with an official name for the Delphi component framework: "CLX." CLX stands for "Component Library for Cross-Platform" development, and is pronounced the same as "clicks."
    • CLX is now the official term describing the entire component framework that is used in Delphi, C++Builder, and Kylix.
    • "Whether you use VCL or VisualCLX, your application will use CLX, the Delphi framework"

:twisted:
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12