Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
I downloaded your windows version of the Lazarus install file and then scanned it with Avast!...no issues.
I also downloaded it and scanned with Eset Smart Security 5 a few days ago and it didn't detect any problem even thou I have it configured to also scan for potentialy dangerous applications (which sometimes returns false positives). Yes I do know there is a newer version out, I have it installed in my other boot, but this one still has fully updated virus definitions. So the only reason why this one ight fail to detect a potentially harmfull program is due to failing to properly extract the installer program for scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
So I installed it, but during the install and for a while afterwards, I keep getting Avast blocking threats like "Win32:Evo-gen" malware in various .exe files in various subfolders of the install...is this a false positive?
I have also tried installing it in a virtual machine where I purposly don't have any AV installed, becouse I wanted to monitor all registry and file changes with another program to see what changes might be done to my system. But unfortunately I wasn't able to compleete the process becouse I didn't had large enough hard drive space available for my virtual machine.

So today I will try and repeat hte process after assigning larger hard drive space to my virtual machine and compleete the analysis.
Also I will try to instal it in another virtual machine that has fully updated AV to se if it might detect anything.

As for the Eset Smart Security that I'm using I must say that in the last five years that I own this laptop and still have initial instalation of Windows 7 I failed to fully protect me only three times.
In two times it failed o detect those nutorious whose only purpose is to try and convince you to go and buy a fake AV software. And the main reason why it failed to recognize them as potential dangerous programs is becouse they actually arent.Yes they are nutorious becouse they prevent you from normaly using your computer by slosing your programs, opening its own windows, etc. But this is pretty hard to detect becouse most of these programs actually simulate user input for their actions. That is why if you are fast enough with your computer you can safetly kill them yourself.
But in one time Eset Smart Security did fail to properly stop a rootkit but it still emited a warning about it being potentially dangerous so I could get rid of it by launching a clean OS from a CD (Boot CD with a Windows XP) and then deleting registry entries ad deleting the rootkit files.
So when you take into account that I knowignly expose my computer to posible infections by conecting various USB flash drives or external hard drives that I know that they probaly contain lots of infectious files since I have used them for making backup copies of data that was stored on other infected computers I must say that my AV is doing an excelent job.

Anywhay after I compleete my test I will let you guys know about my findings.