Quote Originally Posted by Arachanox
This website's name is "Pascal Game Development". So, using my superb inference skills, I assume that everything here is programmed in Pascal
Well that's a good start! lol

Let me tell you a few things before I try to answer your questions:

I started programming only two years ago, and last year when I found this site, I felt exactly like you. I don't want to say I will answer your questions better than anyone else, because I'm very much a beginner myself, but I'm gonna say it.
The reason for this is that I have been member of this 'community' for about half a year, and only less than a month ago, I actually got the answer I was looking for, which is probably the one you're looking for too.

The programming course I did only covered the very basics of programming, so when we came to graphics, I loved it so much that I started making a whole bunch of little games with squares, circles and lines, one more complex than the other, until the point that I wanted to make a 3D engine. So from scratch, only using my maths and squares, circles and lines, I programmed an 'environment' that you could rotate with the mouse, zoom in and out and I drew in it a rectangle. The problem came when I decide to draw in more than a simple rectangle! It lagged very badly!

So I looked for help on the internet, and as most ppl do, I googled something like 'pascal game help' and it came with this site. On the first page was a game, 'Tanx', that had won some kind of 'The Big Boss' competition, so I checked it out, and was totally amazed at the fact that it was all 3D and full of great textures and stuff!

I became a member and for 6 months I asked the same questions you're asking here.
Quote Originally Posted by you
I've been trying to learn how to place simply bitmaps into code to create a scrolling tile-based map, but I've just heard all of these words that I've never heard of before:

OpenGl, DelphiX, FreePascal...
and a whole lot more!

Now I will come to my point and say: The people in here are way too advanced and think we know a lot more than we do, so the help you'll get is limited. [size=8px](I truly mean no offence, but this is how I feel)[/size]

If you don't feel like reading thousands of tutorials and a whole bunch of definitions of things you will not remember (that's what happened to me), I will try to help you the way I hope I had been helped.

One thing I'm assuming here is that you use the unit Graph to draw your shapes; is that right?
(When you start a program, do you write 'uses graph,...;' and then initialise a graph window?)

The bitmap stuff, I'm sorry, I still don't know how to do that either (even though I was told like ten times how to do it, but I never really understood... ops: ), so I can't help you with that; but I can guide you through the 3D stuff, if you want.
The problem is that you will have to be ready to make a big change from using Graph. If that's not what you're looking for, my help stops here. If you are willing to know more, tell me.

EDIT:
PS: where do you live, if you don't mind me askin :?: