You know I've not read so much language debate and discussion since... well a long time as I have in this past month. :scratch:

Anyhow.. here are the main differences as I see them and have followed on in the last oh... 10 years. [size=9px](**** I'm getting old )[/size]

First understand that the debate that you are talking about fits roughly into 4 categories of languages, though technically it can span several different dialects. Sound complex? It is.

The most obvious is that C & C++ are 'symbolic' languages where as Pascal & Object Pascal are more 'natural language' languages. The terms might be incorrect, [size=9px](it's been some time since I had that less way back in highschool)[/size] but the idea holds true. Pascal is more like English and C is more symbolic terms that both basically perform the same types of functions.

Another big thing is that the C branch is more dependent on pointers for some things and not so strongly typed, where as Pascal house is strongly typed and offers pointers as an option than a requirement. I'm not so sure how strongly this holds true to Object Pascal today. Perhaps the habit is kept, but the implementation in the compilers has changed. Any FPC guys to back this up?

C has header files and core source files where as Pascal has units and programs. [size=9px](plus libraries which I believe may only be a byproduct of Object Pascal. Someone please prove me right/wrong? I'm not 100% sure here, may have been something back in the TP7 days.)[/size] This is where you get all these "header translation" projects coming from. All these funny .h files allow C programs to access library files. (.DLLs for Win32, .SO for Linux, etc) The Pascal equivilent to this is a unit file which when is based off a 'translated header' is often called a 'wrapper'. Which I guess is some Pascal programmer's way of making fun of C people. *shrug* I dunno...

Those are the big tree off the top of my head, but a few things that I consider moot or irrelevant to the topic of the compiler and more a feature of the IDE and tools around the language it's self are; debugging, linking, machine code optimizations and lack of hardware support. At least where are the topic of language comes to play. I can create a programming language in ancient Egyptian or some alien strange language and it can be as fast or as slow as C, Pascal, Basic or AppleTalk.