Well you know the reason why multichannel is not practical for 3D sound right?

Just in case you or others don't: Left and Right channel... think about how that works in 3D? Where is your right and where is your left in a 3D space.

Considering that though, I can't think of a reason why you couldn't mix the stereo samples into a mono channel in real time. Mind you, would you really want to considering that it's just going to waste cpu juice that could be better used to mix the 3D sound instead?

If you are able to use streams or raw allocated memory with AL playback then you could pre-mix your stereo wave files at the time they are loaded and store them as a single channel sample. Actually this method would probably reduce the amount of memory required to have stored the original sound data by half.

:?: Does anyone know of a tutorial/instructions on how to mix 2 audio channels without hardware or some other damn library? :?:

I used to have a page that had this info before, but I can't find the link. I can't believe this kind of programming is so hard to find these days! :?