Quote Originally Posted by Brainer
:arrow: That's still not enough. Let's say there are 600 clients connected. So it's 25,6 * 6 = 153, 6 MB.
That exceeds the overall connection speed of Rapidshare, but still you are able to download at 256 kB/s. :| How is it done?
It is not possible to exceed the maximum capacity the connection has due to technical limitations, and service provider of Rapidshare. They can however reduce speed first on user connections that are not paid members, adding queues etc.

What comes to my ISP, i have a 2mbit/512 cable connection from them, and they say in rules that using that connection as public server is not allowed. It is however a extra service for was it 10 euro per month...

And i'm sure you may have more options in reality than your ADSL. Its true though that major connections are around big cities. The lines that connect your country to other world hold possibly for terabytes per second. They split to numerous IS providers.

What i mean, to hold server you may need a connection that is not one of the commonly used but fast and unfortunately more expensive ones.

And question; where do universities and other schools go asking when they need to be lined up to internet? Generally those speeds are very very high, especially universities in my country go through gigabytes per second.