Here's an update live from the GGJ.

I was pretty excited about the whole thing when our team was formed and the theme revealed, yesterday. It turned out the three of us were put together with four others. That's seven people in total, 2 more than I had thought it was goinig to be.

The theme, "As long as we have eachother we will never run out of problems." allows for some pretty interesting concepts. The idea is to create a game using that theme, together with one of three keywords: trapped, falsifying or developing.

After we made introductions we pretty much spend the entire evening on ideas for a game. We started out with 9 concepts and narrowed it down to 2. At that point we divided into 2 groups for 45 minutes, each exploring the possibilities of each concept and then choose one.

Since one concept was quite original and interesting, I kind of hoped it would be quick and a painless session afterwards, but it ended up being a big mess.
While the original concept had been developed into a interesting puzzle game, together with level designs, a catchy name, almost fully worked out gameplay and even some concept art all in well under 45 minutes. The other concept turned out to have, a very weird co-op/vs gameplay. Meaning you both have to work together but also play against another player. Rules were sketchy at best and when we asked questions about how certain things worked in the game, they couldn't really specify.

Odd enough four people favoured that concept, on grounds that the other concept was too boring and did not have enough action, while the others, myself included, were against their concept. After nearly three hours of argueing we eventually realized that we could not find a middle ground.

At 3am, all tired and eager to go to bed, we decided to flip a coin and let fate decide.

.. to be continued...