Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
One thing that strikes me though, is that most people here seem to think that pascal is "the" language (ok, it's a pascal forum haha) and also that learning languages is hard. I've experienced that once you know the concepts it's not that hard to learn C/C#/Java/Python/Ruby etc etc.. I'd advice everyone to do so. I see languages as tools and every tool has it's pro's and con's. Knowing a bunch of them makes you a better programmer, because you will see how each language would solve a problem, which allows you to pick the right tool for the right job.
I've learner many languages in my life, and IMHO the languages barely matter. Pascal is an exception because I think its string type is the easiest, yet fast and productive.

For serious use, it is more often the complete picture (language+framework+library+compiler+community) that matters.

It's true that pascal has a lot of features and power, but it's not neccesarily a reason to "not learn" other languages. The biggest advantage of having a "big toolbox" is that you can easily work together with other programmers, and have fun (which is where programming is all about ) , without having to debate about the language to use. There is no "best" language.
This sounds awfully like a recited lesson. Is this really own experience, or something you heard in class? :-)

I've heard it over and over in the last few years, and I think the whole concept that language is the most important bit is overrated.

Sure, extremely simplistic, obfuscated or defective (*) languages are a problem, but once you get to a certain minimal level, other factors are more important than language

(*) vote is still out on C. IMHO it is defective (the main issue is because == is so easily and silently confused with =), but the other factors (compiler availability most notably) is more important