Thread: New language features have a place in game code?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Code should aid the programmer in their creations, not take them over. My advice is to be cautious when adding code to your game projects that are in-progress that is new to you. It's great to learn new things, but to actually finish a project, you need to pace yourself and don't over-exceed your knowledge with research beyond what is needed to complete your current project should you actually wish to finish it.
    I agree, there is YAGNI principle that describes exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    Let's imagine a fisherman: He uses a sophisticated trawl with a GPS, a super-tech radar to track the fishes and he is fishing with nets to gather as many fishes as he can to make the living, but during weekend he prefers his little boat and a simple hook because he likes fishing this way. He'll gather less fish, or he 'll need more time to gather many fishes, but he'll enjoy it!
    In this case, OOP is the little boat and a simple hook, which later you can upgrade to GPS and super-tech radar. But, you are trying to fish with a fork swimming in an inflatable toy. Sure, it can be a fun sport, but you won't get much fish, if any.

P.S. Jimmy, please try not to get offended, there is no need to multi-quote everything and argue about what you don't know or don't fully understand (remember unskilled and unaware article). My suggestion to you was to try and learn new things, which could be fun and you might even get surprised.

The fact is, you can use OOP for the smallest applications and create elegant code, that later you can extend, modify and even reuse. If you "think procedural" and use OOP mostly as a data type (e.g. objects for data) or only because you have to, this approach is called anti-pattern. If you want to keep closed-minded about it, nobody is forcing you to try new/better ways, just keep using what you know.
    Last edited by LP; 27-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.