Quote Originally Posted by Lightning
If you have any possibility of doing this i would suggest replacing MySQL with PostGres or FireBird because with the latest two you can use Stored Procs and Triggers (and other stuff),
I agree 100%

MSX there is no problem in "directly accessing the database" that doesn't happen with most DB Servers anyway, (only FireBird embeded mode) that kind of access is used for local files only.
You can create users and give them what rights you want so they won't mess up your DB ,
Yes, you can open it for access by everyone, but it's not a good practice. You sould carefully set the privileges, and btw i don't think that mysql allow per-row privilege, so a client that has access to a table can read all the records (at last, afaik). Also, you cannot have a db user for each application user. And where will you save passwords ?
Also, when you do a web application, the database is inaccessible from the user, it's only accessible by the web application. I've never seen a database that accept connection from outside it's local network (or even localhost)

anyway they don't know what the game is doing so it's unlikely they even know how is your DB stored or how to break it :lol:
Yes, until they start up Ethereal and start loggin (and eventually change) everthing that your application transmit and receive.