Thread: Space Shooter Game Editor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You only need 1 patternwidth,height for 1 image, in your case that 32x32 can be fine. If you need a big 200x190 odd sized sprite, you can use a separate image for it. But if you want to use the 32x32 image for bigger combinations, you don't need anything special for the drawing engine. Plotter would just insert in 64x64 sprite case all 4 of those 32x32 patterns to world tile grid. That is only the editor application's concern. I know it's not going to be too easy, to program editor to behave like that. Have to make sort of map file for each pattern image, to describe the areas.

There is another sort of "areas" in tiles too:
    - Random variations of each tile.
    - Turning tiles... For example when making room, you can have 16 different kind of patterns (straight vertical, straight horizontal, 4 corners, 4 ends, 1 lonely tile, 1 tile surrounded by 4, and 4 "T" sections). Most tile editors go with the lazy way, and tell map maker to select the different tile himself. But smart program tells you to use just 1 tile, and paint the whole wall with it, selecting the right pattern automatically. I have done this before, it's complicated but i can give 1 sort of hint:
    Pattern description for top left corner could be:
    Code:
    ?xx
    x##
    x#?
    ...where (? is any pattern, # is same pattern and x is different than #). You can make similar filter for every pattern type, for automatic selection.
    Last edited by User137; 24-01-2013 at 12:11 PM.