I agree with Xorcist, but I have no idea how they can see that. My guess is that somewhere in the application it states the serial number of your application and by that they can see if it was compiled with a registered version, however when you compile it at a friends version they can't see that either... The thing is (I think) that they look at the publisher/creator you state in your application and then look if they are registered...

I think it would be a good idea that borland would publish a delphi version like the personal at a price of about $300,-- and then sell it with a publish license, so small companies or hobbiests that would like to make a dime can use Borland Delphi to do so. I don't think any starting company would like to buy the Delphi Pro or Delphi Enterprise edition since that would cost too much, so they look at cheaper compiler, so my point is (I do have a point, I think) that more companies and people would start using Delphi if they made a cheaper version that would allow publishing...
Borland could even advertise with it, Shockwave obligates you to put the logo in the credits (or anywhere else) in your application, so Borland could do that too, with a cheap version, so you would pay the rest with advertisement!