Quote Originally Posted by phibermon View Post
Voxel engines will become the only thing in 3D one day, possibly even in the next Tech Engine from John Carmack will be a voxel one (if not then the one after that) obviously not in a minecraft style, we're talking super high res voxel engines where the voxels are as small as pixels.
Main advantage of voxel engines are:
1. easy implementation of destructable objects since voxels actualy represents some kinda particles from which objects are build.
2. easy colistion detection as you are simply doung Point to Square colision detection especially if all of your voxels have unform size.
3. easy content creation since at some point in our lives most of us have been playing with some blockbuilding toys (Legos and such) so such approach seems more natural to us in comparison to traditional 3D modeling. And since the maximal level of detail (number of rendered voxels at any time) that can be used in voxel engines is proportional to computer processing capability it is raising quite fast as does the computers processing capabilities.
4. voxel based objects are usually being stored in 3 dimensional arrays as a series of BlockID's and while each block definition (which texture to use for which face and such) you have great data reusability which generally results in lower memory requirements.

StarMade looks like it's pretty much what I had in mind, so I probably won't bother now. Looks awesome
Don't quit out just yet as there is still lots of posible inprovments for a game such as StarMade.

I'll keep on searching for the holy grail of Indie game development - The cool thing that nobody has yet done, or done well.
Good luck with that!
I have been doing the same for about 5 years now and haven't got much sucsess. Whenever it seems that I found it I realize that somebody else is already making it

I do still have many ideas but most of them would require lots of work to finish which is not good for making a first game as the development might take too long due to my limited game development expirience and I might lose interest in the process.