Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Have questions? Post them to us here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    I just ran into a question. My game now includes a level editor, so I can interactively edit some aspects of the game (checkpoint placement, additions objects). The game itself, including game menus, is controlled by a bare minimum of controls, but the level editor uses a number of extra keys.

My question: Do I need to disable the editor in order to qualify for the lower number of keys?
    Well most game developers make an editor to develop their game's content. This is ok, as long as the 'game' conforms to the rules. So the editor won't be considered in the scoring of the final entry as long as it's separate from the game executable it's self.

However for the sake of sharing, we will not penalize you if you include it with your release so that others may try it out and play with it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Well most game developers make an editor to develop their game's content. This is ok, as long as the 'game' conforms to the rules. So the editor won't be considered in the scoring of the final entry as long as it's separate from the game executable it's self.

However for the sake of sharing, we will not penalize you if you include it with your release so that others may try it out and play with it.
    Well, it is not separate from the game executable, but then I guess I have my answer.

Another question about buttons. My game is an arcade, I mean that I design it as it will run in one on those coin-eater machines. Does the "Insert Coin" and "Player 1/Start" button count as "button"?

I think I can't finish the game so I'll not add a "Player 2", but if I add it, does it count?
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez View Post
    Another question about buttons. My game is an arcade, I mean that I design it as it will run in one on those coin-eater machines. Does the "Insert Coin" and "Player 1/Start" button count as "button"?

I think I can't finish the game so I'll not add a "Player 2", but if I add it, does it count?
    From what has been said above, I think should count. I am controlling my game menus by the same keys as I play the game just to keep the count down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez View Post

To be honest I didn't think about a 2nd or even 3rd and 4th controller for extra players. Wish I did.

The concept is that your game should play as if it's running on a custom made console and there are only a set standard of buttons on the controller that you can use. So your game has to function as this fictitious console is designed based around it's controller. Hence all the buttons you have are on the controller it's self this includes all the ones you need to run the game.

What you could do is, in true arcade form, just have the 2nd player take turns with the 1st player in trying to complete levels in your game.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Well, it is not separate from the game executable, but then I guess I have my answer.
    A simple solution to this is to have the editor disabled for the competition version. Or you could have it activated via a DOS-style parameter or whatever is similar on the Mac.

Something important to note is that we are judging how the entires function or preform, not how you coded them. You can have all kinds of disabled code in your entry as long as it "functions" as specified in the rules.

After the competition, we all highly encourage each team to re-release your games with whatever missing features you would have liked to put it due to rule restrictions. I personally highly encourage you to put in a little label for the games you'd like to continue developing as a "PGD Challenge Version" or some-such. This allows you to clairify to those fan of yours that this was specific version was made for a competition and any future versions are completely of your own design and vision.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I just tried the "Ascii3D" game by Peter Hearnshaw. Very retro, works perfectly... but is there a thread for that game? I don't know where to discuss it.

Exactly when is the deadline - I mean, in what time, so I can translate to swedish time?

I just tried the "Ascii3D" game by Peter Hearnshaw. Very retro, works perfectly... but is there a thread for that game? I don't know where to discuss it.
    On this, Peter is a friend at my school, I don't think he has an account on the website, so a thread would probably have to be set up for him. He built the game over last weekend because he was bored and he finally caved in to us bugging him to enter this contest.

Blog Entries
    Excellent! It would be great if Peter were to join the community as well. Your teacher speaks so highly of you guys.

What do you guys think of these competitions anyhow? Any ideas for us to help attract more 'younger' minds to the Pascal game dev community?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast