Thread: Delphi 7 on Windows 8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I maybe would use also Lazarus, but last time i used it, IDE was slow and executables were too big.
    So i didn't like it at all. Luckily i have no reason to install Win8, which is like Windows ME. Total trash.

I also used to think that Delphi is better. Some point maybe was, but now the tables have turned. I only support Delphi for my game engine because some of you guys still use it You can make small executables (always could, it's in compiler settings). Lazarus starts up much faster than Delphi if you disable splash screen (launch parameter --no-splash-screen). Plus of course your apps are multiplatform, you don't need to buy it unlike Delphi, have new language features etc. Basically, i feel at home with Lazarus now, it is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    I maybe would use also Lazarus, but last time i used it, IDE was slow and executables were too big.
    Latest Delphi versions such as XE 2 also have large executables due to forceful Unicode. On the other hand, Delphi 7 is 32-bit, which is a dying platform. Yes, it won't disappear quickly as it occurred with 16-bit DOS/Windows, but it is still a good idea to start porting applications to 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    Luckily i have no reason to install Win8, which is like Windows ME. Total trash.
    May I ask why do you think that? (Yes, I do believe Metro UI is a regression, but that's another story)