Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experimenting with WebGL...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    BTW I think it would be best for PGD users to not refer to Smart Mobile Studio as SMS as it is just creating confusion amongs oters especially becouse SMS is often used in todays lives but as I sad before stands for Short Message System.
    Yeah, I've actually looked it up first on Wikipedia, which had many definitions, the closest one being Systems Management Server. Google search with "WebGL SMS" didn't return any useful links neither.

But you could have taken a look at the forum section name instead

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    Google search with "WebGL SMS" didn't return any useful links neither.
    That's becouse pepole first started refering to Smapr Mobile Studio as SMS in PGD forums. Even Smart Mobile Studio developers don't refer to it as SMS.
    So since Google sorts their results based on keyword popularity there is no way it would return any usefull results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    But you could have taken a look at the forum section name instead
    You could in this thread but the fact is that SMS has been used in several other threads on the forum already. So looking up to forum section in those threads wouldn't be of any help.

When I first saw Smart Mobile Studio refered as SMS I needed to read whole thread to figure out what it stands for. And this was only posible becouse I'm monitoring every thread in every section of this forum. So basically I know everything that it is going on on the forums.
    But if I had a problem to understand what SMS stands for in the first place and I do know everything what is going on on the forums imagine how difficult it might be for someone who is new to the forums or isn't monitoring the forums so closely as I do?
    That is why I suggested that PGD users avoid using SMS when refering to Smart Mobile Studio.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    You could in this thread but the fact is that SMS has been used in several other threads on the forum already. So looking up to forum section in those threads wouldn't be of any help.
    sure, I would never use that abbreviation in a thread not related to smart mobile studio. however, in this particular context I think it makes perfect sense.
    also if you use that abbreviation on the official SMS forum everyone would understand what you are talking about.
    every compiler or an IDE that has a long name is often referred to by a short abbreviation: fpc (free pascal compiler), gcc (GNU compiler collection), vs (visual studio) etc.
    so why can't we do it here? it's not our fault that the abbreviation turns out a bit confusing for the unenlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    so why can't we do it here? it's not our fault that the abbreviation turns out a bit confusing for the unenlightened.
    The goal of our forum is to atract as many pepole as posible. This also include what you cal "unenlightened" pepole.
    So tell me how many pf theese pepole would stay here if they won't have idea what we are talking about?

It is the same as if you would try to read some scientific paper which heavily uses scientific terms. For such paper you usually need a dictionary to understand it or be a scintist in that area yourself.
    So wouldn't it be easier to read such paper if it is writen in layman terms?

SilverWarior, please note that I did not disagree with you. out of the context the abbreviation would make no sense. however, if these people that you are talking about are unable to decipher the abbreviation in the context of a topic where it has been mentioned several times or are plain lazy to read the entire thread, then it is their own fault. but ok, consider me convinced since smart mobile studio is still a fairly new tool. let's not go off topic any further.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    I've examined the output of this converter and while it does an admirable job of optimizing the conversion of Pascal to Javascript, when concidering the limited performance of mobile devices and the relative slow performance of javascript/html5 compared to native executable binaries, you're sacrificing a significant part of your potential performance by using this.

That's not to say that I don't believe this is capable of creating games for such compatible platforms, but it'd be a hell of a shame to design an engine, code most of the game and then find out that you haven't got the cycles left to do what you need.

Plus there's the fact that there are optimized internal operations and language features that can't always, and sometimes just can't; be exploited by a pascal conversion because there's nothing comparable in the language.

I'd recommend anybody writing games using this software make the effort to make as much as the code compilable in Delphi/FPC as possible, that way if you do hit a wall, the option of switching to native code won't be so hard.
    Last edited by phibermon; 29-01-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Quote Originally Posted by phibermon View Post
    I'd recommend anybody writing games using this software make the effort to make as much as the code compilable in Delphi/FPC as possible
    as I have mentioned before this is exactly what I did. I only use smart mobile studio to port my games to html5.
    I do not use sms to make apps for mobile devices, I use fpc for that: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gemmasterdemo

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Oh my apologies Dan, I already know you're an experienced developer, I only mean to try and present more views for any budding developer learning about game development, I should imagine there's more than a few OOP coders looking to create games for mobile devices and SMS offers such a reliable and easy way to target the platform, with the added benefit that SMS can help them deliver a wide range of web apps.

I simply wished to express the opposing view so that those making long term decisions are armed with all the pros and cons, It's important to consider the future of a project in relation to the limitations of your target platform, it's somthing we all learn and I wished to decrease the size of folders titled 'abandoned projects'

--

I will re-itterate in the interest of balance that SMS can be used to make a wide range of game styles that'll run brilliantly on many mobile devices. It's very well made and has an intuitive interface that many IDE's could learn from. Hopefully it'll continue to get better and better as web standards evolve, I am of course utterly thrilled to have any representation of Object Pascal in this world.

Oh and your demos are pretty sweet btw, skinning running well on my system. I've not had time to examine your shaders (I'm gearing up for a release of Jink, previously JenJin, previously VFA, in the next few months) are you using per-vertex/mesh animation, or bone/armature animation? if bones are you using matrices, quaternions or double quaternions for the translation/rotation? particle system runs well too, Are you rendering your billboards from a list of vertices in system memory or are you ping-ponging a VBO between frames?
    Last edited by phibermon; 30-01-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

the first two demos I posted are actually made with pure javascript, and it was quite a while ago. I mainly wanted to see how advanced webgl was (and it was pretty buggy at the time).
    the skinned meshes are done using bone animations with matrix transformations. the billboards are done using a shader pseudo instancing so there are no changes to the vbo at all.

I also agree that for any serious projects for mobile devices, javascript is just not fast enough. so it's best to be able to do both the javascript and the native binary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast