Thread: Increasing traffic on PGD...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    IOTW is a cool idea, but I can see if falling apart if each week we don't have a new image to post. The other issue is the software. I can think of a way to add it to the front page and have a sub-site that uses the PGD database to add new images so that it's fairly seamless. I'll think on this more and if I think it stands a chance of success I'll put it up to a vote. Get enough interest and I'll consider putting one up.

Right now however I want to focus on beginners tutorials. Who is interested in writing? I'll give assignments to each person that contacts me at contact@pascalgamer.com.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    IOTW is a cool idea, but I can see if falling apart if each week we don't have a new image to post.
    Yeah, there would need to have a handful of images always in the pipe to handle the downtimes.

It doesn't have to be Image of the Week. It could be just a random image from random project. This will help promote users projects a lot. And it would be best if clicking on image would take wiever to site with short description of the project or even better to projects website if it has one.

Blog Entries
    Hmm yeah we could just make it something like a Screenshot Showcase instead. Adding a box to the front page showing the "Current Screenshot Showcase" would be easy and I can custom-make the script to upload the images, etc...

Submissions could use a form and accept a screenshot, caption, project url/homepage. I could then tie it into the PGD site it's self, but have it separate, much like the AJAX Chat system works. Only it would enforce loggin in.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    It doesn't have to be Image of the Week. It could be just a random image from random project. This will help promote users projects a lot. And it would be best if clicking on image would take wiever to site with short description of the project or even better to projects website if it has one.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hmm yeah we could just make it something like a Screenshot Showcase instead.
    That could be used as a fallback, but IME screenshot showcases don't draw the same kind of interest/discussions, because they're not "news", but more like a rotating banner/add/random pic.

Blog Entries
    Well it wouldn't be random the way I was thinking of it. We could have a minimum amount of time it gets to stay up there then when the next person (in a queue) submits their screenshot it becomes the profiled screenshot with caption and description kind of like IOTW/D, etc but without the pretense that it's a specific amount of time. IF there are no more submissions for a while the last one sticks around (including the time period its given to stay up there) until someone submits a new one.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

GDR: Game Developer's Refuge

Not sure if it's the best place to put this, but in the last months I've added the GDR: Game Developer's Refuge site on my RSS to follow the development of the Moai tool, and it looks a nice place. I'm tempted to join-in myself.
    No signature provided yet.