Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777 View Post
For someone getting introduced to a language it's ambitious, but then again that's how I would've done it. First get it functional, then you can improve on it.
I belive it to be a great first project, atleast when you like me have about 20-25 years of experience coding demos and games. Most of the gamecode is nothing but linked lists, sorting algorithms and database management. To say that I have zero to non experience in OOP is actually a bit of a lie, you can use abstraction, data hiding and rudimentary inheritance in C aswell, but because of the procedural nature of C you have to write alot of boilerplate code to support this design.

The big thing about larger projects is keeping them organized, if I look at the spaghetti-code I wrote back in the early 90;ies (lots of goto;s, hacking pointers, two-character variable names..) I can say that I have improved. Not that I'm any better at writing code today, but I'm doing it in a much more organized way. I'm never going to be a professional developer, I've passed the big Four-O and me and my son is writing games just for fun (I do the coding, he plays... so far, got him interested so he's hacking in Python right now)