Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
Perhaps I might go and check how computers are trying to solve such puzzles and learn just as how I learned how to solve Sudoku puzzles
Inded it would be interesting to see how computers tackle problems like this. I guess for small puzzles like 3x3 brute force could do it, or some clever algorithm. Wouldn't be surprised if those already exist somewhere. I also assume this could be a good start for the upcoming AIs. New AI:s or students of AI probably get these puzzles as one of their first assignments. But I'm on thin ice here and I also have no intention to try to make a program for solving the puzzle.

What I do know for certain is that a friend's class at a local university once got the assignmet to program a 15-puzzle in pascal. That was a long time ago so he had to do the programming on paper at home and then try it out on the univerity computer when access was available. I never saw his result but I recall he was pretty proud about it.

Meanwhile replying to your other post will have to wait. Right now I'm struggling with the randomizing thingie. Hopefully something can be presented any week now.