Thread: FYI: Steam accounts were hacked (around 10th November)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes i did see that it is an old article... I also noticed that it paid no attention to encryption algorithm, only that it will attempt a password bruteforce with all possibilities. It depends on encryption, software built in delays for password attempts and so forth.

1.6GHz is not actually too old computer. Even if modern gaming PC is 100 times faster it's still not reaching the speeds required. Multiply mega multimedia PC by 1000 and we are still only at 100000 readings. The calculation times for this kind of encryption at 256 characters is a number with thousands of zeroes. He didn't even display it, you can only talk about it in theory level as they are too large numbers to put on a calculator.

I mean, the number 3.3 years (or 1204days) was a little irrelevant to the topic because passwords aren't normally just small letters. 4032yrs he counts for a..Z,0..9 which is 1471680 days. Given 100000 times more processing power multimedia computer network would crack that in 2 weeks. Now add to that a complex encryption algorithm that multiplies calculation time for single word by 1000. That's propably what AES-256 or something would do.

Then add salt to the password to make it 256 characters long and the calculation time goes out of charts.
    Last edited by User137; 21-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.