Thread: Delphi XE2 is here!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Unless I misunderstood, but the starter edition doesn't have the multiple OS support, right?

The feature list I saw had starter edition for $199 and it did have ios and macosx listed

However, now I can't find it - it would be a mistake if they did not include it.
    Last edited by czar; 02-09-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Andru - from what I understood you do have access to accelerometer and gps and all those hardware bit of the ipad/iphone
    That is great, but what about implementing In App Purchase or additional functionality for publishers? Without Cocoa headers(and some Carbon) it will be absolutely unusable. But seems it uses FreePascal for iOS, so it will be possible to implement all these. But this means that there is no need to buy Delphi XE2... but maybe they provide some functionality for iOS-devices as it provided by XCode?

Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    The feature list I saw had starter edition for $199 and it did have ios and macosx listed
    The official feature list from Emba doesn't include it: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/41563
    It's a shame though, I was planning on buying the Starter edition if Win64, Mac OS X and iOS were included, but I can't afford Delphi XE2 Professional.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

bugger!

Short sighted people making those kinds of decisions. You would think embarcadero would want to grow their user base.

When I went to the embarcadero day 95% of delegates were over 40 - myself included - if I need to hire someone else for my team where do I get someone with experience? Bad move.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    It's a shame though, I was planning on buying the Starter edition if Win64, Mac OS X and iOS were included, but I can't afford Delphi XE2 Professional.
    I'm a little miffed they don't even include the command line compiler in Starter.

The "pro" price makes my eyes bug out -- what is this, 1979? Far cry from Borland's "If we price this at $60 it'll sell like hotcakes". It's become the opposite of what made many of use Borland compilers in the first place instead of say... Microsoft compilers...
    The accessibility of a website from time to time must be refreshed with the blood of designers and owners. It is its natural manure

I think Delphi XE 2 Professional is worth the price considering that it supports 3 platforms. Just think of Flash CS5 that costs $700 and 3D Studio Max that costs $3500.

I think they rushed the release of Delphi XE 2, should have waited one more month, but again, product of this size will need few iterations in several years to become fully mature.

Delphi XE 2 now includes many features I've been waiting for years, but they still have missed one - inline/automatic documentation that is available in Visual Studio since 2007 (or earlier, I'm not sure), where you write comments and they are displayed every time you write the function along with the descriptions of the parameters and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    I think Delphi XE 2 Professional is worth the price considering that it supports 3 platforms. Just think of Flash CS5 that costs $700 and 3D Studio Max that costs $3500.
    ... and FPC/Lazarus which costs nothing... much less GCC, GAS...

I think what makes it seem so ludicrous is the price disparity between starter and pro --- 425% price increase off of a $200 base just to go cross platform and toss in the command line version of the compiler? BULL!
    The accessibility of a website from time to time must be refreshed with the blood of designers and owners. It is its natural manure

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Oh well that's that then. Starter not listing OSX/IOS as targets? that's the death bell for it being used for games development. Only companies are going to be able to afford the higher editions (and they wouldn't purchase for games, can't get the staff, C better commercial choice etc) and there can only be a handful of hobbiests that can afford the pro edition.

They should adopt a different licencing strategy, perhaps one version of Delphi that does everything but the different licences restrict your volume of sales/projects etc similar to the way FMOD does it.

Anyway, it's a good thing for OOP that Delphi XE2 exists and if you can afford Pro then enjoy your cross-platform development!

Everybody else? join us in FPC land
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    I think what makes it seem so ludicrous is the price disparity between starter and pro --- 425% price increase off of a $200 base just to go cross platform and toss in the command line version of the compiler? BULL!
    Yes, Starter Edition is rip-off.

It does not mean FPC/Lazarus is the solution as in my own case I found moving to FPC/Lazarus very difficult because of several issues related to IDE functionality and the compilation process really eats up your time. Metaphorically speaking, when I move from Delphi XE 2 Beta IDE to Lazarus, it feels like I'm using Notepad.

i like XE2 , except one thing , the exe size ( empty VCL form = 4mb ) ( empty firemonkey form = 8mb )