Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: 2-bit Racer

I don't see a link. You mention an FTP site but where do I find that?
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    Right, new screen shot:

I also uploaded the current version to the FTP site.
    Looking good So what does HEJDA mean?

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Looking good So what does HEJDA mean?
    It means "bye-bye", a message to cars behind.

Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    I don't see a link. You mention an FTP site but where do I find that?
    That was to the competition FTP site, but I also uploaded it here:

http://www.ragnemalm.se/lightweight/...submission.zip

A little project summary:

- Writing games in FPC is great fun, and can be done quite efficiently if you are focused.
    - Use the modern features of FPC to your advantage! We have the best programming language but only if we use it properly.
    - Game physics is hard. If you try faking it, the shortcuts get highly noticable.
    - Game AI can be tricky too. It can often be hacked, but then it gets pretty dumb.
    - 3D requires a lot of tools, but once you have a decent set of tools (3D modeler like Wings 3D or Blender, paint program like Pixelmator, model loading code, texture loading, linear algebra code, collision detection) then 3D is managable.
    - One reason for me to write this was to make a project like the ones my students do. I don't want to get stuck teaching but never doing, only telling people to do fun things but never doing them myself. You always learn by doing.
    - Trenkti y g??rble!

It means "bye-bye", a message to cars behind.
    haha! cool

Unfortunatelly I don't have a Mac to play your game , but the source code seems very portable thanks to the GLU and GLUT
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    Unfortunatelly I don't have a Mac to play your game , but the source code seems very portable thanks to the GLU and GLUT
    Yes, and that is intentional. That's why I considered making a port in the last minute (although I havn't done it yet). It is just FPC, OpenGL and OpenAL, all portable. Minimal dependencies, I even use TGA instead of PNG to be independent of zlib.

A little project summary:

- Writing games in FPC is great fun, and can be done quite efficiently if you are focused.
    - Use the modern features of FPC to your advantage! We have the best programming language but only if we use it properly.
    - Game physics is hard. If you try faking it, the shortcuts get highly noticable.
    - Game AI can be tricky too. It can often be hacked, but then it gets pretty dumb.
    - 3D requires a lot of tools, but once you have a decent set of tools (3D modeler like Wings 3D or Blender, paint program like Pixelmator, model loading code, texture loading, linear algebra code, collision detection) then 3D is managable.
    - One reason for me to write this was to make a project like the ones my students do. I don't want to get stuck teaching but never doing, only telling people to do fun things but never doing them myself. You always learn by doing.
    - Trenkti y g??rble!
    Oh yes, two more conclusions:
    - I got up to speed with Wings3D again and learned how to do texture mapping with it (which wasn't supported in the past).
    - I learned about Cfxr, nice little utility.

Sadly I cant play your game either. I wanted to make it a point to try and play the games you all made, but in this case I cant. Perhaps you or someone else is able to create a video so we can at least see your game in action?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast