PDA

View Full Version : bitBEAT music software

paul_nicholls
29-07-2011, 01:54 AM
Hey all,
I recently found this little hardware project:
http://www.niklasroy.com/project/39/psp-pocket-sound-performer

which allows the user to assign sounds to different binary bits and then output them to do a 'binary beat'.

I thought this was pretty neat, so I have managed to do a software version of this using Lazarus!

I have decided to call it "bitBEAT". It is a work in progress, but I have now gotten it to generate an uncompressed .wav file filled with binary beats in the same way as described in the pocket sound performer project :)

I have used some samples I got from the pxtone music creation project by Pixel, and hard coded them into the program as a test like so:

BitBeatTest.SetBitCount(8);
BitBeatTest.LatchSoundToBit(0,cHHCL_Dance);
BitBeatTest.LatchSoundToBit(1,cSynTom1);
BitBeatTest.LatchSoundToBit(2,cTom1);
BitBeatTest.LatchSoundToBit(3,cBDdance);
BitBeatTest.LatchSoundToBit(4,cHHCL_Dance);
BitBeatTest.LatchSoundToBit(5,cHHMid_Dance);
BitBeatTest.LatchSoundToBit(6,cSD_Dance);
BitBeatTest.LatchSoundToBit(7,cHHMid_Dance);

I can then play or generate the 'bit beat' output and save it to a file - I am rather pleased :D

When I have cleaned up the project a bit I will post it so you guys can have a play :)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
29-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Here is a link to the wav file I have created as the test (needs 7-Zip) :)

http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/downloads/bit_beat_test.7z

cheers,
Paul

Traveler
29-07-2011, 10:41 AM
That's pretty creative.
Speaking of which, hows the Probe going?

paul_nicholls
29-07-2011, 11:51 AM
That's pretty creative.
Speaking of which, hows the Probe going?

Thanks mate :)

Ah, yes...The Probe :-[ I really have to get back into that...I keep getting distracted by other ideas/projects! D'OH!

I am really happy with how the basic physics is working now in The Probe since I completely re-worked it, but I need to re-add things back into it like warps and switches to name a few :) You can do the main stuff like collect crystals, push rocks, and rotate deflector dishes (wasn't in the older version, so Yay!), and the TLS system also works nicely too ;) I also have enemies now too, unlike the first version :D

Oh, and I need to redo the editor too as was in the middle of that as well :)

cheers,
Paul