PDA

View Full Version : Your ideas for PGD mascot

Traveler
28-05-2004, 11:51 AM
This morning, WILL and I had a nice chat about the graphics side of the new website. We've talked about a number of things, like themes and logo's. But also a new website mascot.

With this thread I want to ask you to give you ideas for a mascot. We've decided to limit the choices to animals. However, pre-historic, mytical or other animal-like creatures are allowed.
Before you submit your ideas, please check whether your animal of choice is not already taken by a large website. i.e puppy, hippo, penquin, dolphin, monkey are for example not the best choices.

You have two weeks to enter your ideas and discuss given choices. After that, (if necessary) the Graphics Team will narrow down the list and we'll have a poll. The animal with the highest score will be used as our mascot.

Good luck.

doggo18
28-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Unicorn... beautiful, flexible but strong :)

Describes pascal in general best doesn't it? :D

WILL
29-05-2004, 12:06 AM
I've always like the Pegasus better.

Winged horse, born from the blood of the Gorgon Medusa when she was decapitated by Perseus. Pegasus was fond of drinking from the spring of Peirene at Corinth. It was here that the hero Bellerophon, in need of a mount on which to attack the Chimaera, found the steed and tamed it with a golden bridle given him by Athena.

Hmm... Athena goddess of "crafts and the domestic arts and also those of war", her symbol was the owl. Athena is the mascott of Delphi, right?

Then there is Prometheus the titan aka "benefactor of humankind".

Prometheus stole fire from the gods and gave it to mortals, carrying it away from Mount Olympus in a fennel stalk (a method of transporting fire that was used down into historical times). As a consequence, Zeus chained Prometheus to a rock where each day an eagle pecked out his liver (which regenerated itself each night).

But, I don't think the eagle would be appropreate though. :P

WILL
29-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Ah... and a point of humour think of Microsoft in this next peice I found.

Procrustes (proh-KRUS-teez)
A host who adjusted his guests to their bed. Procrustes, whose name means "he who stretches", was arguably the most interesting of Theseus's challenges on the way to becoming a hero. He kept a house by the side of the road where he offered hospitality to passing strangers, who were invited in for a pleasant meal and a night's rest in his very special bed. Procrustes described it as having the unique property that its length exactly matched whomsoever lay down upon it. What Procrustes didn't volunteer was the method by which this "one-size-fits-all" was achieved, namely as soon as the guest lay down Procrustes went to work upon him, stretching him on the rack if he was too short for the bed and chopping off his legs if he was too long. Theseus turned the tables on Procrustes, fatally adjusting him to fit his own bed.

Traveler
02-06-2004, 08:28 AM
good ideas!

But the list is still a bit short isn't it? Anyone with a few more ideas???

cairnswm
02-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Sorry I'm not very good on choosing mascots. I've never really understood how people have an allegiance to something (Like people that support specific sport team).

I like the idea of an Owl though. Seems to me we could do all sorts of fun things with an Owl - flying, talking etc.

Makes me think of 'Owl' in Pooh... Sometimes says the dumbest things but still the cleverest guy around.

Alimonster
02-06-2004, 11:46 AM
How about a sloth? Seems appropriate. :P (sorry, couldn't resist!)

WILL
03-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Sloth? :shock: Well I suppose it's an idea. :lol:

Oh in referace to my Prometheus blurb there. We could make it a mini-titan. With even mini-er-people-lings in some of the more cartoony graphics and banners, etc.

He'd be all cartoony, not ugly, but in a cute sort of way. Kind of like from Wizard of Id or Haggar newspaper comics section. Know what I mean?

Traveler
03-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Hehe, those Wizard of Id comics are fun. Just spend the last half hour reading :)

Not an animal I know, but a goofy guard (http://www.comics.com/creators/wizardofid/archive/images/wizardofid21464190040531.gif) like this one, holding a banner may also look cool.

Just a thought :roll:

WILL
04-06-2004, 03:38 AM
Hmm... not quite a titan, but... naw... it'd have to be greek to pass as a substitute tothe idea... unless you were going another way with it.

Traveler
07-06-2004, 08:47 PM
*bump :roll:

WILL
07-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Maybe this post would do better as a public topic? Being as there are more guests and normal members than there are staff members here. And apparently more people with free time available. :?

BTW, in case some people don't pick up on why I'm sticking to greek themes or myths. It's because Pascal has origins from the greeks along with Delphi (ie. the Temple of Delphi) and being as Athena is the goddess of 'arts and crafts' so to speak ;) Also did you know that Kylix is not only a greek word, but is a bowl for making an offering to the gods(not 100% on the gods part, but its for an offering of sorts)?

So thats why...

tux
08-06-2004, 01:46 AM
ok i know this isnt an aminal but.

what about a wizard? they make magic. and we make magic with delphi....

ok its 2:47am my head hurts from too much thinking :lol:

WILL
10-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Thats not a bad idea either. Doesn't have to be greek at all. :)

lol Unless you want it to be a greek wizard? :lol:

cairnswm
11-06-2004, 06:24 AM
http://www.reinerstileset.4players.de:1059/sprites/npc%20135.jpg
http://www.reinerstileset.4players.de:1059/sprites/npc%20134.jpg

WILL
11-06-2004, 08:28 AM
I have moved this thread over to the 'Site Feedback' forum so that the visitors and guests can have some input into this very important topic aswell.

Traveler
11-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Origional plan was to end the mascott selection today. However we'll continue for another week. After that we'll close the thread and a poll will start in which the definite mascott will be choosen.

Since this was a staff-member thread only, here's the deal for other dgdev members. We are looking for a mascott for the new site. Options are limited to animals. Pre-historic, mytical or animal-like creatures are also allowed.

tux
11-06-2004, 09:15 AM
http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/images/airbrush/wizard.jpg
http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/images/airbrush/wizard.jpg

pic i found on google image search to show what type of wizard i mean :)

WiZz
11-06-2004, 12:16 PM
:) heh

Traveler
15-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Only a few days left to submit your ideas...

WILL
18-06-2004, 05:58 AM
I guess I'll list them...

:arrow: A Unicorn
:arrow: Pegasus(Flying Horse from Greek Mythology)
:arrow: An Owl
:arrow: A Wizard
:arrow: A Titan(Prometheus)
:arrow: Athena herself
:arrow: A Guard of some sort
:arrow: A Crazy Inventor (like a mad scientist that creates all kinds of strange inventions with some Da Vinci and Einstien influance.) I just added this one as an idea.

WiZz
18-06-2004, 07:12 AM
Wizard of course :)

cairnswm
18-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Time for Poll???

I might vote for Wizard or Owl not sure which :)

Traveler
18-06-2004, 08:45 AM
You may submit your vote here (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/viewtopic.php?t=1386)