PDA

View Full Version : Elysion News

Stoney
19-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I want to give a quick overview of what's happening right now Elysion-development wise:
- Jesse added shader and post-processing support (OpenGL 2.0 is needed for that, of course; but if the application is run on OpenGL 1.1 cards, the application will still work, just without shaders)
- RTTI support for TelObject
- CSS support (which is build upon RTTI); You can add styles to any node, for example calling TelNode.Apply('left: 0; top: 0'); positions the node at the top-left of the screen; you will also be able to load stylesheets from file in the future
- Entity/Component-Model: Although this hasn't been fully tested yet, you are able to define different components and add them to entities (very similar to Unity)
- Jesse is currently working on a Pascal-like scripting engine

Those changes are currently only private at the moment, as those changes have been built for Wolkenwelt. If the Wolkenwelt development gets less crazy and hectic, the changes will be uploaded to the main Elysion repository. Elysion has always been extended to the functionality it needs based on the current game that is being developed with.

I know, there hasn't been a release in a while, but at the moment building release applications does not work on Mac OS X Lion, as there is something wrong with my build shell script.

farcodev
21-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Cool progress, Shaders and CSS support 8) especially !

Stoney
01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
What has been going on since the last status update? I've working on making Elysion more modular and less dependent from SDL, which is going great, but I ran into a few nasty bugs like graphical glitches or access violations where I don't really know what's wrong. The modularity is heavily inspired by Irrlicht, which means lots of interfaces. I've been trying to keep it as compatible as possible with the current API, but I can't make any promises.
I've been making some progress towards an iOS version and the DirectX backend as well, it's all quite basic at the moment, but I'm quite confident, it'll be in one of the future releases. (It might not be the next or the release after that, but it's coming.)

I've working with generics, class helpers, static classes and advanced records since FreePascal 2.6.0rc1 is out and I have to say all of those new FreePascal features are awesome and will be a part of Elysion in the foreseeable future. For example, where I had collection classes that wrapped around TList, where I now have a generic and in some cases a class helper for some additional functionality. Bottom line: A lot less code. :)
Because of that, I will be dropping support for FreePascal 2.4.x and unofficial support for Delphi 7 to Turbo Delphi 2005.

That being said, there is going to be a new release today, which is the last release supporting FreePascal 2.4.x and older Delphi versions.

CSS support is unfortunately not stable enough and RTTI doesn't have much functionality yet, except for CSS, so this feature won't make it into the stable release just yet.