PDA

View Full Version : GTRPG - 2D RPG Game Creation Engine

xGTx
18-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Well seeing as im new here, I wanna make a big first impression; know what I mean? Ha, anyway... I have been developing GTRPG; my first game ever. (Let alone my first attempt at using DelphiX). The name is derived from the fact that my nickname is GT, because I use to race GT BMX, and I did love my bike. Now I race motocross and supercross, but i didn't think it would be right to make my nickname "Honda." Alright, enough about the name and me, more about the RPG. As of now the rendering engine is almost complete. Here's a screen shot of the map editor:

http://gt.pcbot2k.com/images/ss2.jpg

Aye, nice map editor indeed. Fully functional. Fast too, except, there is a slight problem here. This is where im hoping this forum will come into play and perhaps help me seek my way out of my dark quarrel.
For some reason, delphix, is rendering EXTREMELY slow for GeForce FX cards... So far that's the problem i've been able to diagnose. I've tried the engine on numerous ATi's and Geforce2's... But my one friend who has a GeForce FX 5200, it works VERY slow. He uninstalled his video card and switch it back to his Intel onboard video card and it worked very fast again. So my assumption is, the FX has a problem with DelphiX. Can anyone else vouche for this problem? Please let me know any possible solutions i may seek, for I wish this MMORPG to be compatable for everyone. It's already got quiet a community behind it, and they are all eagerly awaiting it's release. Thank you very much, oh and.. If you would like to test the map editor itself please do so, and give me feedback as well. Thanks alot.

http://gt.pcbot2k.com/download/MapEditor.rar
or
http://gt.pcbot2k.com/download/MapEditor.zip

pcbot2k.com is not my website nor affiliate. Just a temporary host.

Thanks again for your guys' feedback and support!

Traveler
18-06-2004, 09:27 AM
I believe you're using the latest nvidia drivers. It has been mentioned before in this (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/viewtopic.php?t=180&highlight=drivers+nvidia) thread for example.

Alimonster
18-06-2004, 10:40 AM
First, check what the debug level is set to for the DirectX control panel - I found that having high debug levels (I think having the Direct3d one high in particular) hurt my framerate pretty bad.

Next, ask your mate to disable DDraw hardware acceleration and check the framerate. As perverse as this sounds, it may well increase the framerate on some cards because the drivers are being annoying.

Both of these are from the DirectX control panel - if you don't have one (think it comes with the SDK, could be wrong though), you can get the DirectX control panel as download from, for example, here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4017.html) (that's for DX9.0b). They probably also only apply if the debug runtimes are being used. Hmmm...

The screenshot looks quite nice. I'll try it out once I get back on the Internet (finally moving flat tomorrow, so I'm losing a net connection for a week or two).

NaXeM
18-06-2004, 04:20 PM
It looka nice :) wish i could make sumfin like tht. anything to do wif design i suk at :P. and sorry i wouldnt have a clue about your problem i have an old ATI RAGE IIC 4mb heheh. Maybe ill give it a shot and see how it runs :lol:

NaXeM
18-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Played with it for about 10 minz seems fine to me considering this entire machine is friggin ancient :lol:

WILL
18-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Looks really nice GT. :)

Can't wait to try out the game. Can you give us a link to it's site or project page if it's available?

Have you considered trying other graphics interfaces than DelphiX? DelphiX is great for it's ease of use, but there are many others that have a higher performance especially in the effects department. OpenGL, OpenAL and JEDI-SDL might allow your game to be cross-platform portable as an idea. If all else fails there is always the directly translated headers. ;)

xGTx
18-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all your replies, its greatly appreciated. As of now GTRPG does not have a project website, but it will! I already made the layout for it, im just waiting on getting money into my paypal account to actually buy some hosting and a domain.

I havnt tried other graphic interfaces yet, as im new to game programming in it's entirety, but if I can't fix this compatability issue, I may have too.

Once again thanks for your guyses quick posts. I'll enjoy reading what others say too :)

xGTx
18-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Just a little update. My buddy said that:

Next, ask your mate to disable DDraw hardware acceleration and check the framerate. As perverse as this sounds, it may well increase the framerate on some cards because the drivers are being annoying.

Worked like a miracle! So, after much head banging, and holes in the wall, I can continue this project without worring about compatabilitie issues! So BIG thanks to Aimonster and his quick reply!

xGTx
19-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Does anyone know how to disable DirectDraw as well as re-enable it in Delphi? That could be a big help with my project. Thanks!

Gadget
29-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Can you tell me a bit more about the engine?

I am considering either rewritting my graphics engine or 'adopting' someone elses.

My maps have 2 layers, 64 x 64 pixel solid background tiles, and 32 x 32 pixel transparent tiles. There are 32 different flags per tile, we can also assign music and sound to specific tiles. Max map size is 1000 x 1000 tiles. 2 layers isn't really enough :P Client is drawing 1024 x 768. The map is buffered by drawing the visible area +2,-2 of each tile in all directions, this allows nice smooth scrolling and means that we have to draw only 1 row / column of tiles at a time.

xGTx
01-07-2004, 01:25 AM
I'd love to tell you about the engine. Go ahead and e-mail me with any specific questions at: brandon_pawoll@hotmail.com and i'll go into as much depth as i can. Thanks!